Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi all,
Simon and I are taking part in a sponsored climb of Ben Nevis during St. Partricks Weekend 16th-18th March, to try and raise funds for the charity I work for in Northern Ireland. :thumb:

The Link Family and Community Centre came into being in January 1997. It was an attempt to make a response to the needs of Newtownards town (near Belfast) at the time; underage drinking, drug abuse, lack of somewhere for young people to go, loneliness and isolation and a high incidence of teenage pregnancy.

Ten years on The Link has become a registered charity and an independent community development organisation with its management committee involving people from across the community and its volunteers drawn from across all sectors in the area. Since its small beginnings, in a small coffee bar drop-in based in commercial premises on one of the town’s main business thoroughfares, The Link has expanded the range and scope of its work aimed at bringing about positive change and growth in human lives.

The groups of people we work with include marginalised young people who have been excluded from education and with limited opportunities in employment and life in general, people with long term addictions to alcohol who often find themselves homeless and without any family support, senior citizens experiencing isolation and parents with young children.

The stated ethos of The Link encourages people to have a healthy self-regard and to seek the well being of others. It promotes equality of opportunity and good community relations. The principle of “People First”, both form the cornerstone of its work, services and facilities and underpin its ‘determination to ensure that involvement in the organisation is a positive and enjoyable experience for all.’

As the Link’s work has grown, so too the need for larger premises to house the vast array of activities now taking place. To this end we at The Link have launched our Development Fund Appeal. This is to enable us to fund a purpose built centre in the heart of Newtownards and expand our range of programmes and activities. The fundraising activities include the BEN NEVIS Challenge.

Giving:
If you feel you can support our work and would like to sponsor Simon or myself to complete the Ben Nevis Challenge please follow the Link to donate to the Link securely on line.

https://secure.efundraising.org.uk/tailored/donation.asp?charity=92893

Or go to www.cafonline.org and search for The Link Newtownards.

www.thelinkcentre.org. to see some of the stuff we do. Thanks Paul

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Sorry Simon, missed this one, can't send any dosh at the mo, cock-up on the credit card front, I remember you posting up about this charity a while ago though, sounds good to me and good for you two dudes for getting out there and doing something :thumb:

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Yep well done guys you deserve plenty of encouragement and I'm sure we're all right behind you.

Trouble is people are probably donated out after my drive to extract some money from them!
:thumb: :thumb: :teeth: :teeth:

G

·
i was thinking that. It phoenix's fault for not getting off his ass and setting this on-line donation thingy up. I'll give him a good kick up the ass and then run like hell! :lol:

·
Registered
116 Posts
great stuff Simon & Phoenix - I've seen first hand what a difference can be made by organisations such as this. Even helping one individual find the confidence to have self respect and realise their own value is worth all the effort.

I'm sure the smallest donation makes a difference

G

·
just a wee reminder guys, phoenix and i are heading off on friday to climb the girl on saturday. hopefully lots of pictures for you if we get back!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good luck on the climb and plenty of pics please.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
yep good luck to you both and well done for doing this.

G

·
well we all did it. But we didn't stay dry. I've never been so wet doing anything, even showering! Oh and with the weather being so bad the boats where cancelled etc so didn't get home on time and had to take another days leave!

Apart from that it was a great trip. I laughed so much i was sore!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well done Simon & Phoenix - just thinking about the climb & weather is enough exercise for me!!!

Gotta have a meetup to catchup on all the craic!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi all and a big thank you to everyone who supported us both in the forum and financially. I can tell you that the Link has raised a staggering £5100.00 from this event. So again thank you to everyone.

Phoenix:hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
That's amazing. You deserve a virtual round of applause! Well done.

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts