Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.
I am new to this two wheel thing so be gentle.
Are Simpson bandit helmets road legal or not. I am looking at buying a helmet for the 1st time and would fancy a Stig style lid, but I dont know what legal approvals to look for.

Any advice is greatly accepted.

wizard

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm not 100% but I remember reading somewhere that Simpson Bandit helmets are US Snell classified but not DOT UK road legal, even though I remember reading that Snell is a tougher testing process :rolleyes:
All the top dragster drivers/riders/pilots seem to wear Simpson's, so they can't be too bad :cool:

Incidentally, years ago I had one of the European made (German I think) 'Bandit' helmets & I'm sure they're not approved for UK road use either

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was after a simpson lid but the price and the fact they I couldn't decide whether they are uk legal or not put me off so I tried a german craft helmet in mat black and to be totally honest I cant fault it. a fraction of the cost for a similar look. probably not everybodies cup of tea but im pleasantly surprised and happy with it !!!

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
If I recall one of the reasons is the limited visibly you get due to the visor shape. Not a good idea to limit what you can see!

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Before helmet certification went euro you used to get gold and silver stamp then either blue or green which donated the quality of the lid the simpson bandits were red stamped only for track use if i remenber correctly as the shell was to tuff in an accident your neck would take more impact as the helmet doesn't absorb as much as road helmet the construction is more rigid. Won't make much difference in a car with a 5 point harness but going over the screen of the bike and then the bonnet of the car and landing in a ditch might make a bit of difference. Saying that i know quite a few people who streetfightered gsxr's and fzr1000's and they all wore Bandit lids and cant recall anybody ever saying they got done for it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts