Honda XRV Forum banner

Sketch for dashboard plate

9K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Knobblywobbly 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey lads,

This is a sketch of a dashboard plate I'm fiddling with, meant to clean up the cockpit a little visually, and also allow for a switch for the 2 Vision X Solstice LED light I plan to mount on the tripmaster bracket and stick through the windscreen.

I'm working on a smaller non-symetrical version, and will post this later.

Any thoughts?

I'm going to cut a hole for the lights right above the tripmaster bracket. Would it be unwise for some reason, to mess with the screen, in terms of material / water / airflow / noise / whatever?

Cheers,
Thomas

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey lads,

This is a sketch of a dashboard plate I'm fiddling with, meant to clean up the cockpit a little visually, and also allow for a switch for the 2 Vision X Solstice LED light I plan to mount on the tripmaster bracket and stick through the windscreen.

I'm working on a smaller non-symetrical version, and will post this later.

Any thoughts?

I'm going to cut a hole for the lights right above the tripmaster bracket. Would it be unwise for some reason, to mess with the screen, in terms of material / water / airflow / noise / whatever?

Cheers,
Thomas
I had a dash board ( ebay special) on my first RD07 (1995) it was a nice finish ( satin black) and made no difference to airflow/ noise
looking good for your design
keep us updated :thumbup:

magwa:thumbup:

#4 · (Edited)
Hey Magwa

I meant, if cutting the hole in the windscreen would be bad business :)

BR,
T
I doub't it:rolleyes: but I'd get a spare sceen in stock just incase so you can change it back.......you could end up riding along on a bike making a whistling noise like a 1980's volvo car!......but until you try?

Also having auxillary lights behind a sceen WILL lead to reflections and dazzling in your face at night so beware it's always better away from the screen:rolleyes:

You NEVER see a police bike with flashing lights behind a screen that are not sealed/shrouded for that very reason :thumbup:

My Touratech Light Guard on my 1150GSA is bad enough at reflecting light back into my face, so beware of high mounted lights,
thats why BMW's have lower down light bars, problem solved so why re invent the wheel ?

Good Luck

Magwa:thumbup:

#5 ·
Magwa, thanks for your advice, mate! I can definitely see what you mean with the perpetual whisle :)

I was going to cut a hole in the screen to put the lights through. I can't find a proper place to mount them elsewhere :-(

On the crashbars, they look flimsy and the wires will be quite exposed. And because they are square, the small ventholes are not really a pleasing option, not to speak of the problems mounting them there.

When I removed the tripmaster, I saw an easier mounting option, as the bracket there is quite robust and the placement high, which would help the lights illuminate the road better. I hope :)

There doesn't seem to be a perfect location for aux lights on the AT.

I guess my main concern is wheather the screen will lose it's stability if cut. I'm also not sure about the material properties ..

I'll just have to give it a go, I guess, and then pass on the newfound knowledge. Who knows, maybe it could be bling!

Cheers,
Thomas

#8 ·
Touratech mount them near the upper vents
see here ... they look good at this location

:thumbup:
You're absolutely right, Magwa - the only concern I have is that they are square, and that I will have to fabricate some strong bracket mounting there, as they weigh a bit.

If you´re still in trial-mode with cardboard, check out Stefan's Online-Shop before you go ahead. Stefan´s dashboards are worth every penny.
Cheers
Chris
Thanks, Chris! Already did, but for some reason he stopped responding to my mails, so decided to make my own, as no fancy tools are needed :thumbleft:

Below is a new and smaller rough sketch. I actually like the existing naked look, but I want to clean it up just a little, and also have room to install a switch for the aux lights (left hole)

Cheers!
/Thomas

#9 ·
Here's the almost finished plate ... still needs a few holes for the screws and for the switch, and then a matte black paint.

Turned out ok, I think :smile:

Cheers,
Thomas

#11 ·
Yeah, I think it could be :) ... after having had the big plate on, that I posted in the beginning, I MUCH prefer the more minimal design with the asymmetrical addition. I'll have it painted and ready soon, and will post a few pictures then.

Cheers,
T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.