Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new poster here,....
I have a rd04 92 it has a battery about a month old ....from the start it never seemed to have much power to turn the engine,but because it starts on half a turn it wasnt a prob ...but only after 2 weeks it refused to start turning the engine very slowly ...I checked the RR..13.45 on idle ..and 14.50 with revs up so think thats ok ,charged the battery for one day on trickle charge left it out of bike standing for 6 hours and took readings with mulitmeter and it leveled at 12.52 after that time ...so put it in bike again it started but it was lacking power in starter ,turned kill switch on then and tried truning engine for3 revolutions and it laboured like half power in battery ,...then put mulitmeter on it it went down to 10 but worked its way back up to 12.50 ..if it is starter how do you go about removing it any help would be great
thanks in advance
Paul

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Firstly welcome to the forum.
The first thing I would do is try another battery, use a jump starter, to see if the engine turns over any faster. It may well be that you have corrosion on the terminals and that is causing a bad connection. Check in the area of the main fuse and starter relay.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome Stumpyfingers,....well i did give the terminals a rub and some oil at the battery ,didnt jump it ,i should add that i had this bike a year lying up when i bought it but used to start it with a car battery and jump leads using only the car battery direct while it was in the shed and it used to turn it fine ,looked at the starter relay too it looked fine blew in the wd40 over everything ,even at the starter where power is connected ...will try jumping it off the car battery tomorrow and see if it does anything for it ...thanks for your help ill let you know how i got on ......

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok jumped the bike with another battery ,and yes it did seem to turn quicker ,tried it with kill switch just to see how fast it turned ,still didnt seem to be turning it as fast as it should ,that is comparing it with my fzr 1000 ,so is ity i have a lazy starter ,bad connections ....or bad battery which is only about a month old ....

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It is possible the shop sold you an old battery, also it is possible the battery is the wrong type for your bike.
Battery should be 12 volts 12 ah, fully charged it should read 13 to 13.2 volts, uncharged below 12.3 volts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got the battery through mail order and came with battery acid pack ,its a cb14-b2 and was supposed to be the correct one for that model,maybe just unlucky with the battery being a bad one ,is it a big job to remove the starter to have it checked in case its drawing more power than it should

·
AfricAddict
65 Posts
On a bad battery, you could have the right volt readings but a serious lack in ampers, which are the issue when strarting the bike. I had a battery on my caponord that seemed lazy, it was new so I started looking at the ignition coils, the relay and other possible causes. Long story short, I got a new yuasa and have been a happy camper since. Lesson learned: never buy a generic noname battery for a bike, I'll go with yuasas from now on.

Bare in mind that the other battery (called "aero", just in case) was rated for the same Amps but never had the "eager" start that the yuasa now gives me.

I'd say try another battery before tearing the bike apart...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for reply tserts, well tried it with a larger batter to day and it turned very slow,so removed the starter to take a look brushes looked ok ,problem is i bought the bike left it lying up for a year and only have it going since march 10 ,its own battery was frigged as i thought so got this new one ,i know a lad who fixes starters and sells batteries so ill bring both to him and get him to check it out .i know what your saying about the batteries and that prob is the case here,plus im used to hearing a yamaha fzr 1000 turning over and not used to the twin yet which prob turns over more slowly...it was an mf cb14-b2 i bought for the twin ........i got a spin on my friends AT and was surprised at how well they handled and made it my mission to buy one planning to head to Crotatia on it later this year ...so iorning out the problems now ....

·
AfricAddict
65 Posts
Do you remember your friend's AT starting so slowly? Generally the starter is not a "known issue" with either the AT or the TA but you never know, especially if the bike was left unused for a prolonged period.

I think you'll have a blast in Croatia with the AT, a liitle less fun on the highway but the twisties and gravel.... Home territory!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well just got starter checked ,it was in very good condition ,looks like you were spot on tserts.least i know it fine anyway ....now to try another battery ,thanks again for your help im sure ill be back again ,i bought it with a lot of work to be done on it but have most of it sorted now ,had to put new discs on it netural switch was worn away .new spedo cable ,just checked the chain and sprockets seem ok about half worn ,but looking at the front sprocket i noticed maybe on two or three teeth the tops chiped off them about 1 or 2 mills what was going on there???....anyway one prob sorted i hope ,,....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts