Honda XRV Forum banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I can't have gone far, the choke plunger sits in it's own drilling and the hole in the bottom is very small. The nipple should be in the back of the choke plunger, but why it's snapped could be a problem. Is the choke plunger seized into the carb?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's not so much snapped as rusted through the cable there was only one wire looking like it had just snapped, the rest was well rusty

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok I'm just ordering a new choke cable , and was thinking may as well get a new throttle cable as mines looking worn.
But where from cannot find any online , also will the other 650 cables fit ? Over to you Bobn lol.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Any bike shop will get you one. Manhattan Motorcycles in Sheffield will probably have one in stock

·
Registered
15 Posts
Aye you will be surprised i think bobn iv been looking all over the net and ringing around no joy as yet . can find XL650 but I don't know if it fits !
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Hmm, Manhattan's say they are "temporarily unavailable" - that's not necessarily the same as "discontinued". I have seen it before that parts are off the menu for a while whilst they change manufacturer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'd still use Venhill or Carrot to make you one. Probably cheaper than genuine and almost certainly better quality.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I`m following this as im guts deep in a fx650

I`m waiting on on fork gaters to land so thought id order a 175 jet off the strength of this thread and sure enough its landed a before anything else . To swop it was easy peasy enough however the carb had interesting deposits in it given it was green ! how ill never know but green is a new one for me thats for sure . When i brought the bike the owner kindly snapped the choke plastic bolt so thats been fun recreating a new one out of a 12mm bolt .

As i type im removing the smog thingie , no idea what to do with the vaccy sized tube , that has me stumped ? block it ?. Ill soon block up the tube from the airbox with something or other and ill fabricate a couple of blanks to cover the hole in the lump . As per usual i snapped a stud but i wont loose sleep over this and will sort it as and when ive knocked up a couple of plates .

you guys have been a real tease , its all your faults

(edit ) a screw now lives in the vaccy pipe

·
Registered
942 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
welcome to the site izzzzythedog

if the homemade replacement dont work out you can use one of these instead ,
HOT START NUT KEIHIN FCR CARB BILLET YZF450 RMZ KXF CRF KTM HOTSTART CARBURETTOR | eBay

Hi and thank you , very good link that . Wish id known before , it was fun drilling through a 2 inch bolt longways :clown:

So to the smoggie , if i can i always try to play myself understanding im in a shed with a file and an arch welder . Pipework off and scratch ones head for a short while as i figure out how to create blanks out of checker plate and still get a seal . Aha , hacksaw out and lob off the ends which are bin fodder anyway :) , cut at 90 degrees so accross the soldered pipe and drop in a screw ( for holding the TV on the wall ) , dig out the welder and fire it up , 10 minutes later tadaaa blanks . Dab of heat silver spray and refit , jobs a goodun ( once i suss the broken bolt )

Dam shame i cant fire it up yet on the `just to see basis`, it doesnt have a front end at the mo .

(Edit ) A refit of the carb to airbox throat , i had no issues . I tried the usual brute strength and found the inner lip to airbox is rather large and not possible to manipulate into place . So i thought im not having that and folded it so it was inside itself , placed it over the hole and badoing it shot into the hole very happily . That was the airbox end , the carb however just needed carefull application of prying screwdriver to give it the hint . Total refit time about 2minutes

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
M&P you beauty you

Landed , nice and blue , now to fit um

started and couldnt stand the marks from keys on the top yolk plus its lashing it down , Top yolk off and into the shed to be sprayed , im second from last coat while i type this ,,,, theres a reason nothing ever is simple with me ,,,, why didnt i spray the dam thing while waiting the week ? thats because im stupid :compress:

someone take the spanners off me

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys, I'm in Australia and have an FX650 here, keen to do these mods, I have the 15T front sprocket fitted already and much prefer the higher gearing. Am looking for the main jet online and just wondering if this may be it, does it look like it's the right one?

Replica HONDA KEIHIN Hex Main Jet #175 replaces 99101-357-1750

s-l1600.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great, thanks heaps for that. I'm guessing the 175 stands for 1.75mm. I did the baffle removal on the exhausts this afternoon, with a 32mm hole saw, sounds good and feels like it has more power, bit hard to tell tho just now, did a tail chop as well, will put some photo's up once I get a few more things done, loving what a great bike this is for the price I bought it for :eek:

·
Registered
211 Posts
yes 175 is 1.75mm. With exhaust mod (standard with baffle reduced), airbox snorkel removed, smog system removed, I found 175 too rich and moved to 170. Pilot screw out to 3.25 turns - ideally I need one size up on Pilot Jet.

81 - 100 of 131 Posts