Honda XRV Forum banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I've just tuned another two. I've been running them stock for 5 months but in the end missed the noise and character.
Pulled baffles, 175 main jet - lovely jubbly.
At first I left the front sprocket at 14T and I have to say that I think the bike actually felt slower on the top end. Then I fitted the 15T front and hey presto full performance established!
I think the open pipe moves the torque curve down the rev range, the engine is less strong at high RPM but stronger at low and midrange - the 15T front allow the engine to make best use of the available torque.
Cruising at 70 MPH is 4500RPM, peak torque coincides with 77MPH - perfect.
Out on the twisties it spends more time in 4th, which is now good for 65MPH.
Best of all the bike will now do 50MPH, on standard gearing you have the choice of howling along in 4th or labouring in 5th, now 50MPH in 4th is comfortable.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I have done the baffles .what 175 jet do I need does it have a code for a honda carb ? Thanks
No, just a 175 Keihin main jet.
Pull the snorkel out of the airbox too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Been reading through the thread - anybody try this with the NX650? Forgive my ignorance, just not sure if they have the same carb...
I'm scrapping the airbox and putting on a foam filter and a new exhaust + headers (when I find them).

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I tried it with mine but couldnt get it dialed in 100% ,had to fiddle around with washers under the needle.:(:(:(
What you really need is one of these Keihin FCR 41 mm flatsides...

12540995_1081607075192761_194904512408898156_n.jpg

it just so happens that I know where there is one for sale with correct needle and jets.;););)

·
Registered
6 Posts
3 hours trying to get air box reconnected who ever thought of that wants shooting .ended up taking all bolts out of air box and burning my hands in boiling water

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all, new here, and I know this is a very old/ long running thread. Many thanks to @Bobn for his detailed info. I’ve done my Vigor - debaffle and 175 jet and it’s a big difference. I do get a lot of popping on throttle off at lower speed, but I can live with that.
I’ve also ditched the airbox totally for a pod filter.

Rest of the bike is also modded (apologies to the purists...). Lots of weight lost and cleaner lines.

FAC52F95-A9CE-484D-92DC-5DD9B9374551.jpeg

A quick tip. My speedo gear drive broke - common problem - but they are no longer made for Vigor.
Turns out the same part for dominator will fit. Vigor original part number is 44800-MAK-003. New part is 44806-KF0-000. It’s got one more gear tooth and so reads about 4% faster than actual speed but for £12.50 it’s better than a dead Speedo.

·
Steve
61 Posts
wow,i have a vigor the same colour,maybe its the same bike,HKZ,anyway my key was stolen,wondering do you know where the key number is apart from the key?
Steven from Londonderry

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going to do a bit more tuning on my scramblerised 97 SLR 650 and need some learned advice. I want to go for a Ramair foam filter but still utilising the cranked in let rubber. I'm also going for a 2 into 1 setup on the exhaust with an unbaffled silencer. I've seen posts that indicate a 175 main jet is the proper set up for a less restricted SLR. I'm just interested to know if anyone has a similar set up to what I am proposing doing. Its one step beyond keeping the standard airbox. I may nee a bigger main jet (180??) and what about the pilot? Any advice gladly received. If people have had horror stories I'd like to know them too!! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Best thing is just to try it. I'm wary of ditching the airbox with CV carbs but your use of the angled trumpet might mitigate somewhat. On the main jet size they are easy to tune. Start with 175 and go for a run, every bit of throttle movement should increase the pull. If you find that the last 1/4 or 1/8 of throttle just makes more noise but gives no more pull then you are running lean. If you find that the last bit of throttle actually slows the bike down, or that when you whack the throttle shut the bike gives a little surge then you are running rich. I've never changed a pilot jet.....

·
Stone Crazy
5,306 Posts
wow,i have a vigor the same colour,maybe its the same bike,HKZ,anyway my key was stolen,wondering do you know where the key number is apart from the key? Steven from Londonderry
Try contacting a honda dealer , have the reg number and frame number ready to give them. they may be able to help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey @cherryred. I went to 175 main, debaffle and ditched the airbox. It’s been a bit of a trial and error. I’ve kept the original trumpet that connected the carb to airbox. I’ve put on a 62mm ID filter on the end of that. It pulls very hard in all gears. I don’t know at all whether 180 would give more go. The carb is CV so appreciates a relatively still air source as I understand it, meaning you need a large filter or retain the trumpet. It’s a bit tricky on the slr/ Vigor because the beam frame means a large filter gets in the way. I will say that it runs lean on overrun and pops and backfires a bit. I’ve dialed some of this out with the pilot screw (now 3.75 turns out). I am wondering about going up a size on the pilot jet to help this. Bobn - any thoughts here? Overall though I’m pleased with how it goes and how it looks without the airbox.

101 - 120 of 131 Posts