Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what tyres you run on your SLR

Currently the bike has Bridgestone Trailwings which are near end of life & came with the bike

As I am mostly on road with only a few forest tracks thrown in I am considering Metzler Tourance as I have those on my DL650 WeeStrom & have been very pleased with them.

Anybody else use Tourances & any other suggestions regarding tyre choice

On a side note any windscreen recommendations suitable for taking some of the windblast & topbox for the carrier thats fitted as standard on the SLR

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Tourance is superb and great on your SLR. If you did more off road, you might look at Heidenau or the Cobtinentsl TKC.
Can't help with screen

·
Registered
695 Posts
Mitas ME07
Sava Invader MC30

Both manufacturers do slightly more / slightly less off roady versions of these so you can up or down the mud/tarmac scale.
They're cheap and I've found them to be long lasting and very grippy in the wet and slippy stuff. To be honest with the performance on offer on these bikes you don't need to spend big money on expensive tyres.

Reactions: tomtwix

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have trailwings on mine and they seem OK so far but tarmac exclusively. I had Tourances (the original type) on my Triumph Tiger and they were excellent.

I must admit to being puzzled by the pressure recommendations of 22 psi front & rear which seem very low for modern tyres - I'm running mine at 26 & 28 which seems a little better but would welcome more informed views.

I've fitted a Givi A660 to my SLR which is excellent at keeping wind blast off (I get smooth air at about visor level). I picked up one of the smaller Givi models at an autojumble but it collides with the chrome instrument bar so am looking for another one of these to chop up so as to save mine.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
To be honest with the performance on offer on these bikes you don't need to spend big money on expensive tyres.
I have to say Bobn, having ridden many bikes ranging from sports bikes to dirt bikes, I found the way that the Vigor put power down with standard gearing was the most...... Brutal. Due to the snappy throttle, if you weren't careful on moist roundabouts, it was VERY easy to throw the back end out. I'm not saying it was the most powerful, just capable of being jerky on throttle response therefore good tyres are a must.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have Metzerler tourance on my SLR and am really pleased with them. I only use them for commuting all year round , I have done 9k miles so far on this set and they still have about 4mm left at the lowest point. I only got 7k miles out of the
Michelin anakee2 and they were not half as good on grip and used to hate raised white lines , use to try and throw you off.
Jeff

·
Registered
695 Posts
<Windmill John>
Big singles eh? They do take some getting used to. A mate of mine tried one of my SLRs and I could see his arms being snapped straight and bent again as he monkey-fisted the twistgrip!
I understand that the updated VStrom has different mapping to make them more novice friendly by reducing the amount of engine braking and snatch when rolling on and off the throttle.
You're right of course, these bike don't make much power but they do make a lot of torque (isn't that why we love them?), on mini roundabouts I usually feather the clutch so I can feed the power gradually, I just do it naturally but I suppose that's me adjusting to the "blammo" style power delivery of the 4" piston :thumbup:

When I was talking about the performance package I was more thinking that you're not going to be flying into fast sweepers at 130MPH with the front wheel pattering under the brakes and your leg dangling in the style of Rossi!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had Avon Roadriders on my SLR , great profile for the road , stable at speed , great on dry roads, good on brakes in the wet but absolutely no side grip on wet roads. Fitted Tourance just before I sold it and my current Fx has Tourance also. A good alround tyre .
My SLr came with an MRA screen of some sort, it worked well and had an adjustable spoiler. I can't find a decent photo but this should give you some idea
Looking at the photo I think those were the tyres that the bike came with , can't remember what they were though , Pirelli? , past their best they used to spin up in the wet

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for reply
I went with the Metzler Tourance in the end as I have previous good results with them on my Suzuki DL650
I got the Givi A660 screen which works pretty well at taking the wind blast off :thumbup:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have the A660 which as you say is good at keeping the wind off, but I seem to get some instability especially when coming up behind HGVs (and of course car transporters which are always the worst).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the A660 which as you say is good at keeping the wind off, but I seem to get some instability especially when coming up behind HGVs (and of course car transporters which are always the worst).
I think that applies to most screens really especially on a relatively lightweight bike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts