Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the difference is between the rear shock on the SLR and FX 650's?
I know many parts (but not all) are interchangeable.
Seems to be more choice for the SLR (eg Wilbers) over FX (dont want a Hagon!)

·
Stone Crazy
5,307 Posts
they are interchangeable , different colours , not sure about other differences , but my FX rear shock went , i fitted a secondhand SLR one and that went within the month, now got a hagon , and tis ok

·
Registered
5 Posts
Evening all. First post, and I only joined to share the following.

My FX650 shock went, just after Christmas. I read on a site somewhere that an SV650 shock fitted fine, and with the lack of FX650 shocks at decent prices, I bit the bullet and ordered a new genuine Suzuki one from Ebay for £60 + postage.

$_57.JPG

When it arrived, the packaging said that it was for a TL1000R, but it still fitted fine. The fittings at both ends are the same - same internal bush size at the top, same width of bush housing, same fitting at the bottom, and same thread in one side. It even seems to be the same length, and the only difference that I can see is that the preload adjuster is a 5 notch system, rather than the threaded rings.

Anyway, 20 minutes, and it was all fitted this evening.

Too late for some, but I hope others read this, as SV/TL rear shocks are a lot more common, and therefore a lot cheaper.

Ian

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Welcome Ian

Does the shock have the same travel as the OE one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks. No idea of travel, or spring rate. Looking at the picture of the Hagon (above mine) I would say it has more distance between the cylinder and the base of the piston rod, so may have more travel - but as a winter commuting hack, I'm not really that bothered. As it is, I've set it to 'hard' and will not bother altering it.

·
Stone Crazy
5,307 Posts

My FX650 shock went, just after Christmas. I read on a site somewhere that an SV650 shock fitted fine, and with the lack of FX650 shocks at decent prices, I bit the bullet and ordered a new genuine Suzuki one from Ebay for £60 + postage.

View attachment 44097

When it arrived, the packaging said that it was for a TL1000R, but it still fitted fine. The fittings at both ends are the same - same internal bush size at the top, same width of bush housing, same fitting at the bottom, and same thread in one side. It even seems to be the same length, and the only difference that I can see is that the preload adjuster is a 5 notch system, rather than the threaded rings.

Too late for some, but I hope others read this, as SV/TL rear shocks are a lot more common, and therefore a lot cheaper.

Ian
buggerit and i spent £280 on a hagon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Really sorry about that. Until I knew that it fitted, I didn't want to post anything. There's too much misinformation on the internet, without me adding to it.

For the record, the bike seems to be a little lower at the saddle and sits more upright on the sidestand, so I guess the shock is slightly shorter (and I set the shock on the hardest setting).

Anyway, that Hagon looks a lot better made than anything coming out of Japan.

·
Stone Crazy
5,307 Posts
oh mine was 2 years ago mate

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys,
I also found the original shock or my Vigor now is too soft. My feeling is that the spring does all the functions now but the absorber is near dead.. :rolleyes:
(sometimes I'm riding like this :blob8: )
Araf
, do both TL1000 and SV650 shocks work fine as a replacement for FX-650 or just TL1000? What is your experience on riding the replaced shock?

DrD, what shock do you ride now? How do you feel with the new one?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am using the Hagon as pictured earlier in the thread.
Much improved on the road but if you notice shorter spring and travel so it has compromised off road capability
- but I dont do that much of that on this bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for reply. Unfortunately, Hagon is too expensive for me. Looking forward to some cheaper replacement like SV650.. There is a lots of those available on ebay.
I didn't find sizes of original shock mounts in the manual. Have you guys ever measured it? I'm sure there should be some kind of specs for the shock installed on SLR/Vigor but still wasn't able to find any. :mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
The one I fitted was from an early SV650 'Curvy' - the one with carburetors. It's shorter, but the fittings are the same, and it works fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Araf, thanks :thumb:
is that the yellow-colored shock?
As afar as I could find: yellow - earlier models, white - latest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine's actually got a white spring. IIRC, the listing was for a 2003 shock, so it should have been for a Curvy?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Thanks Ian,,,as Im needin a shock fur ma SLR....cheers

View attachment 44097

Ian

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone know what the difference is between the rear shock on the SLR and FX 650's?
I know many parts (but not all) are interchangeable.
Seems to be more choice for the SLR (eg Wilbers) over FX (dont want a Hagon!)
Finally removed my FX shock to measure up for possible replacement , it's approx. 10 mm shorter centre to centre than my previous SLR version 355mm/ 345 mm ...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts