Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi there bobdog12, have you got a photo with this shock on your bike?

I'm after a shock that will slightly raise the ride height at the back of the my SLR.

Many thanks, Matt

·
Registered
695 Posts
A word of warning on swapping shocks. You should consider spring rate. The Vigor/SLR is quite a light bike by modern standards, fitting a shock form a heavier bike could well result in a "choppy" ride and will increase stress on the wheel rim and spokes.
I've modified an XT660R shock which is a pretty good match bike-weight-wise and has very similar travel.
If you never ride off-road you can get away with a lot more variation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A word of warning on swapping shocks. You should consider spring rate. The Vigor/SLR is quite a light bike by modern standards, fitting a shock form a heavier bike could well result in a "choppy" ride and will increase stress on the wheel rim and spokes.
I've modified an XT660R shock which is a pretty good match bike-weight-wise and has very similar travel.
Thanks for the advice,you modified an XT660R shock, which should fit an SLR? What did you do to modify it?

I won't be riding on off road, I am making a custom scrambler which I will just use for popping around town and maybe the odd wheelie. I am also hoping to try and raise the back end, because where I have dropped the rear subframe to keep that flat line with the bottom of the tank, it will sit a lot closer to the back wheel.

image.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's awesome! Thanks mate! A Triumph shock is so much cheaper than a second hand SLR shock (and generally better condition).

Upside down forks and black rims! I'd be interested to see a bit more of your bike :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
that looks good matt, theres a pair of fmx forks and yokes on ebay at the mo if you want to beef the front end up and lift it somemore :)

·
Registered
695 Posts
The XT660 shock just need the holes welding up and re-drilling to 10mm (they were 12mm) and a 12 to 10mm sleeve in the top.

·
Registered
695 Posts
It's 2mm shorter. But since the holes at the bottom are 12mm and not 10mm, once you've welded them up you just drill the new 10mm holes 2mm lower down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi mate, I'very got myself a Triumph shock luke yours. How high up the bottom fork did you drill the new hole?

I am guessing that you put some washers inside the fork as it's slightly wider, and got a new bolt and nut too as the original SLR shock fork is threaded.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi mate, I'very got myself a Triumph shock luke yours. How high up the bottom fork did you drill the new hole?

I am guessing that you put some washers inside the fork as it's slightly wider, and got a new bolt and nut too as the original SLR shock fork is threaded.
i cant remember exactly, i just gave it enough room to clear the pivot bracket. if you measure from the hole in the bracket to the top of it then add say 5mm that should do it. have a look at the pic in this post it will give you an idea.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just as a quick update on this thread: the shock on my SLR650 which I had fitted a shorter bottom clevis to in order to drop the seat height by about 30mm failed last week. An ebay-sourced SV650 item (I believe the earlier model as it had a yellow spring) was exactly the same length as my shortened standard one and fitted straight on with no difficulty. So it's also handy for anyone like me whose joints are making getting aboard a bit of a struggle.

The only possible issue is that the Suzuki item has a preload adjuster which is inaccessible once fitted to the Honda. I've just set it at the mid position.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the post. I too had heard that the SV shock fitted but as I use mine off road quite a bit I think the ride height and travel would be an issue. I'm so glad you posted.
Ben

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I realise this is an age old post but can I just quiz you on the xt660 shock in the slr. What was modifying did it need and did it raise the rear end at ?
Cheers lee

·
Registered
695 Posts
It says in the post above.
The XT shock has 12mm holes, but the SLR and FX have 10mm holes.
For the top mount I just made a sleeve with 10mm i.d. and 12mm i.d. and pressed it in.
At the bottom it's simply a case of filling in the 12mm holes with weld, flatting off and redrilling the new 10mm holes.
The original mounting holes are 2mm too close together, so when you drill the new 10mm holes just move them 2mm further apart (toward the bottom of the fork arm)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts