Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Honda NX650 '98, VFR750 '93
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, proud new Dommie Dad here. Picked up my '98 last week and had a fun 3 hour ride home despite the pouring rain.

The bike is best described as a fixer upper, mostly cosmetics (I hope), but she is bleeding and I'm not exactly sure what or from where.

On the left and side by the kickstand there is evidence of fluid loss, looks like oil, but also some signs of fuel leak. Also the alternator cover has got red on it from something.

Any thoughts and suggestions much appreciated, I have zilcho mechanical knowledge. Also, anyone in the Oxfordshire area who would be up for helping me improve my mechanical knowledge please let me know!

·
Registered
160 Posts
If the leaks aren't happening at the moment it will be difficult to find the source. The fuel tap will be vacuum operated and may either be still leaking or have been recently repaired/ replaced.
I repaired the fuel tap on my '97 XF650 last year as the kits were still available. That said my '03 Transalp XL650V still has its original fuel tap in working order.
For common oil leaks other domi owners will be the best source of information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the leaks aren't happening at the moment it will be difficult to find the source. The fuel tap will be vacuum operated and may either be still leaking or have been recently repaired/ replaced.
I repaired the fuel tap on my '97 XF650 last year as the kits were still available. That said my '03 Transalp XL650V still has its original fuel tap in working order.
For common oil leaks other domi owners will be the best source of information.
Thanks for giving me something to focus my attention on, gave the bike it's first good clean and investigation today, hopefully make it easier to spot what's happening. I left the fuel tap closed for the last couple of days and the smell of fuel was gone. Opened it back up now, see what happens. The red streaks are clearly the original paint being revealed beneath a very bad black paint job.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Check the oil leak by the kickstand isn't just chain lube

Reactions: Moroseduck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey folks, proud new Dommie Dad here. Picked up my '98 last week and had a fun 3 hour ride home despite the pouring rain.

The bike is best described as a fixer upper, mostly cosmetics (I hope), but she is bleeding and I'm not exactly sure what or from where.

On the left and side by the kickstand there is evidence of fluid loss, looks like oil, but also some signs of fuel leak. Also the alternator cover has got red on it from something.

Any thoughts and suggestions much appreciated, I have zilcho mechanical knowledge. Also, anyone in the Oxfordshire area who would be up for helping me improve my mechanical knowledge please let me know!
I’ve had my Dommie for about 15 years now, R reg, I have to make sure I turn the fuel tap off. I’ve learnt from experience that leave it on for more than a couple of nights and it won’t start. Don’t know why, not mechanically minded but remember things that work! Think it must either flood or stale petrol or something...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve had my Dommie for about 15 years now, R reg, I have to make sure I turn the fuel tap off. I’ve learnt from experience that leave it on for more than a couple of nights and it won’t start. Don’t know why, not mechanically minded but remember things that work! Think it must either flood or stale petrol or something...
Good advice, thank you. Definitely more of a smell of petrol about than I'd like after a day or two so will follow your example.

It's always hard with a new-to-you but very much not new bike to figure out which are the bikes quirks that you just learn to live with, and which are the problems you definitely need to solve before it goes bang 😂

1 - 6 of 6 Posts