Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted a pair of snail horns to an XL700 Transalp?

If you have, any pictures of where you managed to squeeze them in?

I'm trying to fit a pair, my old horn has gone quieter, but I really can't see where they'll fit.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi...Glad i read this one...will take the twin hooters off my V6 Vectra before it goes off to the scrapper, as they are mega loud and much better than the bike's..Not exactly used a lot are they ! for current drain etc ?...and when you need them..you sure want to be heard ?

·
Registered
313 Posts
YES...I was thinking along the lines of not getting knocked off as well, but i will check what amps the car hooters draw ? just in case Mr Honda has used stupidly mega small low rated wire and also fuse...My mega bright pair of led strip lights " not fitted yet " draw a combined tiny 1.7 Amps...well worth being seen too ! me thinks....

·
Registered
230 Posts
Forget the snail horns & fit a Nortalus compact air horn , mega loud vary compact & comes with a relay .Had them fitted on my last three bikes 700 Transalp & two Varaderos ,

Ian.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Forget the snail horns & fit a Nortalus compact air horn , mega loud vary compact & comes with a relay .Had them fitted on my last three bikes 700 Transalp & two Varaderos ,

Ian.
I had a BMW k75rt a lovely comfortable fine handling bike with a beautiful sound from the triple engine when wound up fantastic weather protection too but the most impressive thing about it was its stebel horns we are talking about make your ears bleed make a corpse sit up in a coffin and say wtf you nearly gave me a heart attack make a dopey driver stop dead in their tracks because they will think you has a lorry :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG5EsomqSFQ

·
Registered
472 Posts
Its not that you shouldn't use them, but that the wiring to your lil beepy horns should be beefed up to take the load, use a relay perhaps to save your horn switch and check the fuse the current is drawn through.

Each normal snail horn is probably 5A or more. It's hard to say without measuring it. A Nautilus horn will draw 18A and is very loud.

On my AT for example the circuit the horn is on has a 15A fuse which probably wouldn't last with 10A of horn draw on top of what's already drawn, sidelights, taillight instrument lights indicators.
I would have a relay operated by the existing horn circuit and supply the horn from the battery on a fused connection.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi..Very good bit of info from Andylong...Spot on...and agree completely with all of it...should always be checking current draw before considering fitting anything extra...Have known people to burn up car headlight wiring by fitting 100w bulbs without looking it all up.....

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
You can use the existing wires to the horn to drive a relay and wire from the battery via an in line fuse and the relay to the new horn :thumbup:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know how to fit the snail horns .... THAT was not the question!!!

The question IS has anyone any ideas on where to fit them.
Has anyone got any advice/photos on where to fit them?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Ooo are we having a bad day i could say where the sun don't shine with that attitude LOL :D Sorry but this is how the forum works you get a load of information you don't need as well as what you do need eventually, You may know how to fit them but others doing the same job wont so when people search the forum they get a post that will help everyone :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
why we are keeping the topic current increasing your chances of getting a helpful reply I have found the reply's helpful myself as I am sure many others have too . :thumbup:

·
Registered
472 Posts
If the information presented isn't of use to you that's cool. You will get irrelevant information to you, but hopefully some useful or things you might not have thought of or maybe it's useful to another with a similar question.

All you need to do is move on until what you want appears.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts