Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
This one gets great reviews. It's not Snap-On but is accurate and reliable and £32.95:

VC99+ 6999 auto range multimeter tester Amp C Tcompared FLUKE analog bar UK ship | eBay
It does look kind of similar to the current Fluke 77 (on the left) but that's no guarantee..

I have had the older 77 (on the right) for probably over 25 years and it's been brilliant. Cost over £300 then (so close to a months wages) but it's stood the test of time and (apart from a few sets of leads) is going strong.

I also have an AVO8 but fortunately I didn't have to pay for that one

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It does look kind of similar to the current Fluke 77 (on the left) but that's no guarantee..

I have had the older 77 (on the right) for probably over 25 years and it's been brilliant. Cost over £300 then (so close to a months wages) but it's stood the test of time and (apart from a few sets of leads) is going strong.

I looked at the fluke automotive ones and to get the equivalent one from fluke was £400 can't remember the model without finding the bit of paper ( think it was 80 or 8)and that was with our works discount, also fluke only do a 3 year warranty. The Snap-on one i've bought does everything the Fluke does and more but has a 7 year warranty and was 1/2 the price, then when i found it on offer for £99 it was a no brainer. I only went on the wagon to get a tap and die as Snap-on are about th echeapest places to get taps, dies and air fittings. The Snap-on one also does record mode which should be good for stacked messages on CAN systems

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

AVO 8 :thumbleft:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
AVO 8 :thumbleft:
I still have it. And its leather case. I think it cost about £800 new and that was in the 70's. To out that into perspective I started on £25 a week.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i can remember using the Avo8 in school

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts

OOOoooooooooohh BAKELITE!!! Get me the Kleenex!!!

I STUPIDLY gave an old AVO away years ago, but many of the lab technicians I used to work years ago with INSISTED on keeping their AVO's when they were offered digital multimeters, because (I think) they claimed the digital multimeters tended to charge capacitors when they were using the meter.

Anyway, I've still got my old Fluke 77 and a lovely "pocket" AVO in a leather case, which I wouldn't swap for anything.

:lol:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I havnt got an AVO, :( I havnt got a Fluke :( but after starting out in the early seventies using an AVO I still like the analogue meter.
I recently bought a tiny Hilka analogue multimeter for £3.50 from a car spares shop. Its a lovley bit of kit and even has a mirror on the scale to aid accurate reading of the needle position.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I STUPIDLY gave an old AVO away years ago, but many of the lab technicians I used to work years ago with INSISTED on keeping their AVO's when they were offered digital multimeters, because (I think) they claimed the digital multimeters tended to charge capacitors when they were using the meter.
It was the opposite. With the old analogue meters you could set it to one of the ohm scales and "watch" a capacitor charge. You could then flick to a DC range and see it discharge. Much easier on an analogue meter than an early digital one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts