Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
Joined
·
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
XRV's front line correspondent in Galloway has been providing me with updates on the snow conditions in Galloway. The forestry tracks would seem to have 3-4inches of level snow and I would assume with the continued low temperatures not much will have melted. In fact our correspondent reported it as snowing heavily again today. The roads are clear or at least passable and access to the campsite is clear although the camping field still had snow on as at yesterday.

I dont want to lead anyone into a risky situation or be the cause of anyone falling off and damaging themselves or their bikes so I need to take a view on whether we should go ahead with the forest ride. I am planning to be in the area on either Thursday or at the latest Friday lunchtime so I can have a look at the tracks and judge if we should proceed or not. If not we can do another rideout, say to the Mull of Galloway or the Whithorn pensinsular.

I will need to check what the position is with the forestry as regards payment, I would hope if we are snowed off we wont get charged, or if we do it is only the admin fee. If so I will refund everyone. Equally if we decide to go ahead but indivuduals dont want to take part then that's fine but I will need to work out how that affects the fees (eg if 10 people do the ride it would work out at £15pp).

I still hope to see most of you there on Friday as its a good weekend anyway. (I hope Bandit (Maurice) is OK, he lives on Arran where I have seen pictures of drifts as high as houses, cars completely buried, and no power for several days. I suspect he wont make it for the weekend)

galloway snow 2.JPG

galloway snow 1.JPG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,642 Posts
Hope things go to plan Austin, fingers crossed mate, I'll will be thinking of you all, whilst on a rally rescue unit.

Be safe be good regards to one & all.
 

·
Craigypops
Joined
·
6,747 Posts
Austin, you must be fekkin mad to tackle that!

With the weather being what it is I'm out, I don't do ice and snow and what I like about these do's is sitting in the camping field and having a laugh. Mikethebike is not coming either, I can't say for Derek and Alan but I think they won't be coming either.

I had booked the bunkhouse and have paid, if anyone wants my bed they are welcome to it, it's paid for and I want nothing for it. The centre doesn't refund but can move it to another date but I'm not going to be back up that way so no point in letting it go to waste.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,168 Posts
Austin, you must be fekkin mad to tackle that!

With the weather being what it is I'm out, I don't do ice and snow and what I like about these do's is sitting in the camping field and having a laugh. Mikethebike is not coming either, I can't say for Derek and Alan but I think they won't be coming either.

I had booked the bunkhouse and have paid, if anyone wants my bed they are welcome to it, it's paid for and I want nothing for it. The centre doesn't refund but can move it to another date but I'm not going to be back up that way so no point in letting it go to waste.

Pfff Bunch of big girls blouses. :)
 

·
Wing Commander
Joined
·
14,437 Posts
Austin,

Will the Forestry commission agree to move it to another date given the weather?

It's just above freezing during daylight hours according to the weather forecast (including all the way up there) and well below at night. Anybody arriving after about 5pm could be skating there.
 

·
Older, but no wiser!
Joined
·
3,836 Posts
Austin,

Will the Forestry commission agree to move it to another date given the weather?

It's just above freezing during daylight hours according to the weather forecast (including all the way up there) and well below at night. Anybody arriving after about 5pm could be skating there.
Kinda agree with you Chris! I am sure the A75 will be gritted, but the back roads if a road ride was planned...?

Maybe Ian can comment on this?

I know it'll be pretty tough on those who have booked Hols for the weekend though.
 

·
Older, but no wiser!
Joined
·
3,836 Posts
Austin

I do not envy you making the call at all. I reckon the wisest move will be to see what the FC have to say, given the circumstances.... You have a good working relationship with them now ;) I cannot believe they will be keen on bikes in teh forest if the tracks are really bad, even if we have our own insurance etc...

However, I will not be taking the 1/4tonne tub of lard that is the Vara off-road in that!! A little 250, maybe... :D
 

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
Joined
·
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have just phoned the Forestry Commission. He says a lot of the tracks are completely inaccessible even to forestry vehicles. If we dont go ahead there will be no charge. No problem with with them for rescheduling on another date, or with doing two trips. I said I was having a recce on the Thursday / Friday and would let him know what we were doing.

Whealie, a long and cold way to come to camp in very cold and snowy field so fully understand if you want to pull out. Same for anyone else. I will do another trip in what I hope will be a blazing summer. But....

....For me its fitting it in. May and June are out for me, as is September. I think the best weekend would be the weekend I had planned for the Pennine Way trip - 3/4 August, which might be a good idea as I havent really done much about that one. I could move the PW trip to October or delay it for a year. I will do a poll for dates.
 

·
OVALTEENY !!!
Joined
·
6,063 Posts
If they are that inaccessible that would have an impact on emergency services should someone have a fall and be injured beyond riding

Safer option would be to reschedule

Just my ramblings as Steve-T would say
 

·
Older, but no wiser!
Joined
·
3,836 Posts
If they are that inaccessible that would have an impact on emergency services should someone have a fall and be injured beyond riding

Safer option would be to reschedule

Just my ramblings as Steve-T would say
Very good point and well made, especially in the light of the REAL emergency going on in NW Scotland!
 

·
Hill Rider
Joined
·
3,070 Posts
Steve T the Rambler here :rolleyes: :D :thumbup:

I've been a weather stalker, internet wise, for the past 3 days and i have to say the words from the Commision, via Austin, have put a cap on the event for me.

Paul has mentioned what was going through my mind - the "What if" scenarios. Because, lets face it, there will be an off or 3 with those conditions under wheel!

Re-schedule to fit in with Austins availability (he's in charge = he tells us when :thumbup:).

Ramble over - Steve T -Out :mrgreen:

:cool:
 

·
Wing Commander
Joined
·
14,437 Posts
Hey, it's only 11 left turns and a couple of rights for me.......

.... But I do think the safety of the event means the whole thing is in doubt. I'll decide tomorrow my plans.

Am out in the garage right now trying to get a bike fit for the journey.
 

·
Deer Dodger
Joined
·
3,199 Posts
I too have been looking at the forecast and I can honestly say that the best weather is in the west, it's been cracking all week there.
If, and only if Galloway is cancelled, I might think about going back to the place I've been all week, Skye :confused:
Might nip across to Harris, don't know. I have the Friday off, and I haven't been away on the bike for a bit.

Just a thought, I would rather go down south, but if it's not to be, it's not to be.

I JUST WANNA GET AWAY :D:D

Fekin weather :mad:
 

·
Wing Commander
Joined
·
14,437 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
Well, I've been out in the snow over the winter and can assure everyone, it's damned hard going! There's always folk who will push the boundaries and drops are a certainty. I think it prudent to cancel due to the ongoing issues in that area, affecting the locals as well as our group.
I'm still keen on doing something though, idea's Lowflyer? I've the Friday off too.
I've engineers over in Ullapool today so be interesting to hear the conditions over there. A good rideout, a night under a roof, evening in the pub?
SteveT's coming round tonight so I'll see what he's planning.
Contingency plan?
 

·
Deer Dodger
Joined
·
3,199 Posts
Glen Campbell ---


I know I need a small vacation
But it don't look like rain
And if it snows that stretch down south
Won't ever take the strain



The " strain " being not being able to go away this weekend :(

Skye looks good for me, although not my usual " pitch " :D
 

·
Grumpy auld man!
Joined
·
1,646 Posts
Glen Campbell ---


I know I need a small vacation
But it don't look like rain
And if it snows that stretch down south
Won't ever take the strain
Glen Campbell fan? showing your age now mate! :iconbiggrin:



Andy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
Glen Campbell fan? showing your age now mate! :iconbiggrin:



Andy.
Ha ha ha ha !!!! And that's coming from a soup spiller!!!!! Sorry Andy, couldn't resist!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
I think we should cancel/postpone, we have had a couple of good years, one wash out,(snow out) has to be expected, I would feel realy pissed if I was a casualty, taking up the time of the, already busy, emergency services.

Thanks all the same to Austin. re the money, if you get any of mine back, lob it into you favourite charity or better still, have a couple of pints on me for organising duties, and lob the change into the charity.

Off to the scottish forum, to what the craic is.;)
I am in the same boat as lowflier, I need the craic and some booze and some biking. Not nessasarily in that order.:thumbup:
 
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Top