Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
Just found out, I can't make the 3/4 August It's my mates 50th...............bollox.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
XRV's front line correspondent in Galloway has been providing me with updates on the snow conditions in Galloway. The forestry tracks would seem to have 3-4inches of level snow and I would assume with the continued low temperatures not much will have melted. In fact our correspondent reported it as snowing heavily again today. The roads are clear or at least passable and access to the campsite is clear although the camping field still had snow on as at yesterday.

I dont want to lead anyone into a risky situation or be the cause of anyone falling off and damaging themselves or their bikes so I need to take a view on whether we should go ahead with the forest ride. I am planning to be in the area on either Thursday or at the latest Friday lunchtime so I can have a look at the tracks and judge if we should proceed or not. If not we can do another rideout, say to the Mull of Galloway or the Whithorn pensinsular.

I will need to check what the position is with the forestry as regards payment, I would hope if we are snowed off we wont get charged, or if we do it is only the admin fee. If so I will refund everyone. Equally if we decide to go ahead but indivuduals dont want to take part then that's fine but I will need to work out how that affects the fees (eg if 10 people do the ride it would work out at £15pp).

I still hope to see most of you there on Friday as its a good weekend anyway. (I hope Bandit (Maurice) is OK, he lives on Arran where I have seen pictures of drifts as high as houses, cars completely buried, and no power for several days. I suspect he wont make it for the weekend)

View attachment 22832

View attachment 22834

Hi Austin I am fine I spent the weekend battling through the snow drifts to fuel the emergency generators at our water treament works.
I am still coming to Galloway if it goes ahead I am bringing the Transalp in the back of my campervan then after the meat head to the lakes for a few days.
 

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
Joined
·
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Final decision to be made tomorrow but based on the feedback to date on here, ABR, and direct to me by pm and phone we will probably go ahead with the meet for those that want to make the run to Galloway, but it seems unlikely that we will go through on forest trails. It would be a great and challenging adventure to do so, but its almost certain that there will be a faller or two or three (or more) with the attendant risk of damage to bike and body. If its body we will be putting the emergency services at risk to extract from the forest.

I will reschedule a meet for 3/4 August anyway and if enough interest I could do a forest ride on the Saturday and the Sunday.

If anyone wants a refund please pm me with your bank details, otherwise I will retain the money as payment for the August trip (that means you are on the list as of now).

To help the final decision on whether to pull the event altogether please let me know if you are coming anyway for a meet, camp, and rideout.
 

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
Joined
·
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi Austin I am fine I spent the weekend battling through the snow drifts to fuel the emergency generators at our water treament works.
I am still coming to Galloway if it goes ahead I am bringing the Transalp in the back of my campervan then after the meat head to the lakes for a few days.
Hi Maurice, glad to hear you are OK. Unless I hear no one is going I plan to be there, probably from Thursday so I have time for a recce around the forest on Friday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Personally, the main attraction was the novelty of being able to ride the forest tracks, but after 5 months of graft on the bike, the last thing I want is to ride in those conditions :(
On the safety note...
Last year my daughter badly broke her arm falling off a mountain bike at Cannock Chase.
Even with plenty of people around, it still took the emergency services nearly an hour too get her a short distance to Stafford hospital & that was a warm summers evening.
I dread too think how long it would take if someone did similar in the middle of a forest in those conditions, especially if emergency services in that area are stretched anyway :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,162 Posts
well I have a foot of snow and if I was going would most likely drop the bike on the icy drive :) would be interested in The Aug meet as there will be slightly less snow :)
take care and enjoy troops :)
 

·
Craigypops
Joined
·
6,747 Posts
To help the final decision on whether to pull the event altogether please let me know if you are coming anyway for a meet, camp, and rideout.
Austin, I definitely won't be there, neither will Barrowload or Derek, woke up to snow this morning in Redcar and the clouds are looming again so the bikes staying put!

I know you said you were going to camp but feel free to use my bed in the bunkhouse as it's paid for the Friday and Saturday night so seems a shame to let it go to waste. There should be 4 bed room booked under Craig Niel (XRV) :thumbup:



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,162 Posts
Austin, I definitely won't be there, neither will Barrowload or Derek, woke up to snow this morning in Redcar and the clouds are looming again so the bikes staying put!
:thumbup:
Bet is 'cos you cant carry 15 duvets, 10 pillow and 24 hot water bottles :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,162 Posts
You know me better than that Ray, you know I CAN carry 15 duvets, 10 pillows and 24 hot water bottles ;)
yup :) seen it. :p


wise move folks , weather here appauling this morning ...

getting just a tad ticked off with this weather :(
 

·
Craigypops
Joined
·
6,747 Posts

·
Craigypops
Joined
·
6,747 Posts
Due to the amount of snow and ice on the forestry tracks, advice from the forestry commission and from locals it is not viable to proceed with an organised ride through Galloway forest. I will rearrange for the weekend of 3/4th August 2013.

I thought it worthwhile starting a new thread to announce my decision on how the weather has impacted the Galloway trip. I am also locking the thread straight away so any chatter is kept in the other threads.

The weekend is not completely lost though as we can still meet at Galloway Activity Centre and, road conditions permitting have a road ride, a walk or whatever on Saturday as well as pub and party on Friday and Saturday nights. I believe the following people are going still: me, Nighflight and his two mates, Tenere Mart (+1 I think), Bandit, Bimbler, Elle, AndySR6(?).

I can refund the £10 paid to cover the SFC charges as they do not invoice until after the event when numbers are known. They are not invoicing for the cancelled weekend. I can also hold on to your £10 if you are coming on the rearranged date.

I am trying get in touch with Galloway Activity Centre to see what can be done about rolling forward bunkhouse and cabin bookings to the new date.

I will start new threads about the new dates and start new lists for attendees.

No one will be as disappointed as I am about cancelling the ride. I have had a good run weatherwise with "austin's adventures" so it had to come eventually. It takes a lot of effort to get everything in place, money and insurance in but most of all I dont want to dissapoint you all. Hopefully the event on the new date will be all the better for it though.

See you a few of you there on Friday or Saturday. I am taking up WinXPs offer and sleeping in the bunkhouse.
You didn't quite lock it quick enough and I was tempted :D

Glad you could make use of the bed m8 :thumbup:

Nothing you can do about the weather, what can be done eh? All efforts still appreciated :thumb:



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Older, but no wiser!
Joined
·
3,836 Posts
I have emailed you also Austin, but thanks again for all the work you have put into organising this bash, and equally importantly all the work that has been required to make the regrettable but sensible decision, to cancel the Forest excursion. I hope your downsized meet is a success.

I look forward to catching up with the great and good (and the reprobates!) in Gallowy in August, if not before then....
 

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
Joined
·
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
For those of you that cannot make it and have accommodation bookings I have just spoken to Galloway Activity Centre, they are happy to roll forward any bookings to 3/4 August and any deposits or payments will be held to cover the new date. They are going to ring round to confirm what people want to do, so if you havent heard in a day or so please contact them.

All is not lost :p.

I think we ought to show our support for Galloway Activity Centre by positive press on here and anywhere else we post stuff. I think it is an exceptional place with just the right vibe and atmosphere for a small group like ours.
 

·
Senior Consulting Member
Joined
·
1,982 Posts
I'll have a ride over to Galloway with camping kit on Friday, and I'll be up for a ride out on Saturday. If there's a bed in a bunkhouse I might go for that instead but I'm happy to take it as it comes.

Definitely up for August 3/4th though.
 

·
Craigypops
Joined
·
6,747 Posts
For those of you that cannot make it and have accommodation bookings I have just spoken to Galloway Activity Centre, they are happy to roll forward any bookings to 3/4 August and any deposits or payments will be held to cover the new date. They are going to ring round to confirm what people want to do, so if you havent heard in a day or so please contact them.

All is not lost :p.

I think we ought to show our support for Galloway Activity Centre by positive press on here and anywhere else we post stuff. I think it is an exceptional place with just the right vibe and atmosphere for a small group like ours.
They've been great in the past and obviously that is continuing :thumb:

I've no idea if I can make it in August yet (our Chloe goes in for her heart op in August)) but I booked for myself, Alan, Derek and Mike (all in one room) so I'll carry it over if they phone me (or I'll ring them) but you are still welcome to my bed for the two nights m8 and if I can make it (likelyhood is i won't) I'll just pay again. :thumbleft:



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Geriatric Teenager
Joined
·
101 Posts
For those of you that cannot make it and have accommodation bookings I have just spoken to Galloway Activity Centre, they are happy to roll forward any bookings to 3/4 August and any deposits or payments will be held to cover the new date. They are going to ring round to confirm what people want to do, so if you havent heard in a day or so please contact them.

All is not lost :p.

I think we ought to show our support for Galloway Activity Centre by positive press on here and anywhere else we post stuff. I think it is an exceptional place with just the right vibe and atmosphere for a small group like ours.
Austin,

Thanks for your efforts. I'll see you and everyone else on Friday night.

Steve R's cabin berth is up for grabs for anyone who wants to come in from the cold.

Paul
 

·
Older, but no wiser!
Joined
·
3,836 Posts
Austin,

Thanks for your efforts. I'll see you and everyone else on Friday night.

Steve R's cabin berth is up for grabs for anyone who wants to come in from the cold.

Paul


The little 2 berthers are quite nice too ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
For those of you that cannot make it and have accommodation bookings I have just spoken to Galloway Activity Centre, they are happy to roll forward any bookings to 3/4 August and any deposits or payments will be held to cover the new date.
thank you for organising that, I'm going to decide tomorrow morning as I had planned to ride half-way on Thursday.

I've been working at home (in Leeds) today & although there was snow this morning the afternoon has been nothing but sunshine.
When you're sat in a warm room looking out onto sunshine, it's hard to imagine how cold it really is....

The forecast for the weekend in Loch Ken isn't too bad but that icy wind will keep temperatures down:
7 Day Weather Forecast for Loch Ken - Netweather.tv

I think we ought to show our support for Galloway Activity Centre by positive press on here and anywhere else we post stuff. I think it is an exceptional place with just the right vibe and atmosphere for a small group like ours
Quite right :thumbup:
 
21 - 40 of 70 Posts
Top