Honda XRV Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Gotta keep in with the Gaffer, cos he's got all sorts lined up for later in the year ;)

And by the way, it's sniffling wee rat to you ;) - be glad when this cold disappears

Steve T

:cool:
good point, hope to have a better attendance record this year:toothy4:

Enjoy your Easter Island hop , gits .. so jelous :thumbup:

dont get fooled by the sun, its as colds as and the roads are deceptive ......

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
I'm going to have to dip out this weekend. My back is still tender and I don't want to aggravate it with a combination of bike and camping. It's is a shame because the weather forecast is pretty reasonable and it's bright blue skies here in Carlisle. It's a beautiful day for a ride out, so for everyone who is able to get out and enjoy two wheels, have a good un! :thumbup:

I'm still up for the August dates and hopefully I'll be on the XL :D

·
Registered
457 Posts
Tried ringing you today Mike but just going to voicemail, I've moved your booking also (as you were in with us) to August, if you can't make it then we'll see if we can sell it to someone for you :D
only just seen this. I was up at whitehaven on a works night out. Anyway cheers Craig :iconbiggrin:

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
I just want to second what Paul said, a great couple of days in good company, the temperature even got up to 7 degrees now and then. :eek: Driving past some of the drifts that were at least 10 feet high showed how bad the snow had been in that area so not doing the forest was perhaps a good idea, roll on part 2 in August. :iconbiggrin:

Andy.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Well, that all worked out rather well. Great weekend, great company. Thanks to those for making it to Galloway. I hope you all enjoyed it too.

Road conditions were surprisingly good and even the minor road from Laurieston to Gatehouse easily passable by bike. The main problem on all the roads was frozen meltwater from the drifts. There were some large stretches of sheet ice until about lunchtime even on sunny stretches and all day in shady spots. I also tried a snowy forestry track, the snow was a level 4-5inches deep and I got all of 10 feet off the tarmac before coming to a wheel spinning stop. A bit of shoving and pushing and slow progress was possible but a snow drift would have stopped me. I was on an XT660R with new TKC80s so a heavier bike with road tyres would go nowhere. It was the right decision not to ride the trails. I have some photos on my phone and will post later from there.

Instead of the forestry tracks we had a road only ride down to Isle of Whithorn, then to Mull of Galloway and back to Loch Ken -150miles in total. The weather was fab - blue sky and warm sun most of the time and the roads all up to Scotland's and Galloway's usual standard. It was nearly as good a day out as the forestry ride.

8 of us stayed at the activity centre and one more hardy soul from ABR turned up Saturday pm and camped in about -5c. Ian Biggar and XRV_Jim also put in an appearance for the Saturday ride. A big up for Galloway Activity Centre who looked after us well, fed us well, kept us warm, and were tolerant of a group of drunk bikers cluttering up their lovely conservatory until the small hours.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts