Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some little gits tried to steal my bike recently! they damaged the ignition barrell so i replaced it and bits of other wiring they had damaged!
i lobbed out all the old bits and was very proud of myself!

until today when i got to the petrol station and realised I have thrown out the key to the petrol cap!

any ideas folks?

other than any suggestions involving me being a pillock - i know that much!!

cheers all

Z

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I managed to pick mine using a paperclip on one of my RD03's, try that with a thin bladed screwdriver:(

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Probably easiest just to buy a new petrol cap with key
(now spot the flaw in my plan
)

Sorry Z, I know this won't help but......

(wheres the smiley banging another smilie over the head with a BFO hammer when you need one!)

Phil

·
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
as I don't have the key any more I was thinking of simply drilling out the old lock and then in due course buying a new cap and lock when I can find one on fleabay for not many pennies!

I may try the picking it route or the FBH as advocated by the learned members!

see, this is why I shouldn't be trusted to do anything mechanical at all EVER!!!

d'oh

D

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
as I don't have the key any more I was thinking of simply drilling out the old lock and then in due course buying a new cap and lock when I can find one on fleabay for not many pennies!

I may try the picking it route or the FBH as advocated by the learned members!

see, this is why I shouldn't be trusted to do anything mechanical at all EVER!!!

d'oh

D
Lovingly serviced, tweaked & fiddled with, taking endless hours of blood, sweat & tears over the winter months.
Rendered useless by an oversight of its owner :p

Hope you get sorted soon Z

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
I'd definitely go for the locksmith. Drill + petrol tank doesn't seem like a good mix to me....

Sssssshhhhhhh...... We were just seeing how gulible he was.....

·
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok if this happens to anyone else - here is the procedure!

first prise the plastic cover off the petrol cap (medium force and work around the cap)
second, prise the metal cover of (gently! it has a lip that clips under the cap) use a screwdriver and work around - once this is removed you will have access to the lock
you can then pop the lock out!
assembly is the reverse of disassembly!

simples

and not a hammer used! - kinda!

:blob8:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Can you now re-key the lock to the new key?

·
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I reckon I could if I could get a lock to fit that key - from the outside the cap looks the same and looks locked so I reckon not too much hassles - have also now started parking under a CCTV camera!!

Z

1 - 14 of 14 Posts