Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ‘93 Transalp 600 was putting out 16 volts when I bought it a few months ago, and had had some meltdown in the distant last. It had an Electrexworld reg/rec on it.

This morning I fitted a brand new aftermarket reg/rec to it. Wired it up, mounted it on a nice alloy heat sink plate of my own design. All good, fired up easily enough.....

.......but the volts rose from 13 to 16 in less than a minute, once I gave it a few rpm, and stayed there.

I checked the stator wires for earthing, all seem clear. Measured resistance between them, they show 0 ohms, on my cheap little meter.

I measured AC volts between each of them with the motor at high idle and got around 25 volts.

All this appears to be correct, so what else can it possibly be?

I have the r/r connected direct to the battery terminals, all clean tight crimps, yet it still gives exactly the same 16 volts as the old r/r did. :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
mmm.. that's an odd one as the RR should limit the voltage to 14.5 volts

these might help

Battery Charging Problems

https://www.aberdeenbikers.co.uk/motorcycle-charging-system-diagnosis-checks/
Well bugger me, after a couple of months of faffing about, then finally changing the r/r out, I found a link on a web page that tells me the ‘spare’ black wire from the r/r should be connected to the pos terminal of the battery, to feed back and tell the regulator what to do......

I’ve just been out and test run it, 16.3 volts at 3000rpm, then I touched that black wire to the + battery terminal, and voltage on my gauge dropped to 14. :mrgreen:

On the original Electrex r/r it wasn’t connected to anything so I assumed it wasn’t needed. :(

£98 for a new r/r that wasn’t actually needed.... shame I snipped the connectors off. But it does have a nice ally base plate now.

Wiring will be tidied up once I know it is working properly. The black mess on the frame must be from the original melt down it suffered years ago, I’ll paint it up some day.

B61DDFA2-15F3-4B16-B40F-36E07B093651.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Swaged? Why, it’s just a low pressure gravity feed to the MC. I’ll swap it for a length of proper hose to tidy things up eventually.

30 mile test ride yesterday, when I stopped there was barely any warmth in the new and correctly wired r/r. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts