Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
WTH is that all about.... Barking!!!!

So will the previous Keeper get an automatic refund.....?
The month you sell the vehicle you will be charged tax to the end of that month and get a refund for any additional months. The person who buys the vehicle will also have to pay tax from the begining of the same month. That means the government will take tax twice for the same vehicle for the month that the vehicle is sold/bought unless you happen to do the deal at the end of the last day of the month.
Despicable little manoeuvre if you ask me.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
It means that as you buy a bike and ride it home you immediately commit the offence of riding without tax. I have asked the DVLA about this and they currently have no answer but say they are working on the details.

It take it that wealthy civil servants who only ever buy brand new vehicles from the showroom so have no understanding of the rest of the society have come up with this scheme and not through through the consequences.

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
If the seller is liable for the tax until the end of the month and the buyer liable from the beginning........doesn't that cover it.

What do this lot call 'Stealth Tax' now they're in government?

Lose lose?......:confused:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
If the seller is liable for the tax until the end of the month and the buyer liable from the beginning........doesn't that cover it.

What do this lot call 'Stealth Tax' now they're in government?

Lose lose?......:confused:
The seller is liable for road tax up to the point of sale, the sellers tax is then novated (vanishes) for the remainder of the month.
The buyer is responsible from the point of taking ownership, so at the pont of sale the vehicle becomes un taxed untill the new owner taxes it from the begining of the same month.
It would seem that it will, from October onwards be impossible to buy a vehicle from someone who only has on street parking without commiting an offence unless the seller delivers it to an off road site before the sale takes place!
The government is there to serve its citizens, it seems the DVLA are becoming so powerfull that they are out of control?

Reactions: Cabby

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
If a vehicle has insurance and if applicable an MOT then if the sale were to happen at midnight at the end of one month and the buyer purchased tax on line before driving away would that work?

I know it's awkward and hypothetical, just curious

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Unless we some commonsense arriving PDQ, I can see that based on what has been said here, we will all need to use off road storage places to act as a temporary home while the transaction/tax stuff is dealt with.

What are the trade and the motoring organisations saying?

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Took the trouble to read it properly.

Another 'back of a *** packet' policy.

Don't they think anything through?

Just like dealing with TFL and the Mayors office.

F**king amateurs!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah but the vehicle cannot be seized until the tax is 2 months out of date, that's the current rules to date but that may change also

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
I suppose what is happening is that vehicle tax is becoming like vehicle insurance in that it personal to you for your vehicle, ie you (or your approved users) are taxed/licensed to ride/drive that specific vehicle on the road, just the same for insurance. I am not being an apologist for DVLA but losing part of the month's tax when you sell the vehicle is nothing compared to the loss on insurance - most of the remaining premium plus admin charges.

The process for the new owner to tax the vehicle also seems pretty straightforward - get the numbers from the V5 and apply to be taxed online just before you pick it up. Same as you do now for insurance. I dont think I see the problem other than if DVLA wont allow two people to tax a vehicle at the same time, but I reckon they will. There does seem to be detail missing in the press releases and announcements - to be expected really, and as a senior civil servant, and not earning enough to only own new vehicles (never had one), I am confident that the DVLA civil servants will have worked through every possible scenario and more of how this will work in practice.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Sorry Austin, but you cannot tax a vehicle currently, until the registration has gone through and you have the V5 in your name. You cannot do this online or in the Post Office. If you buy a bike untaxed, you have to ride it with no tax until you have posted off the V5 and it has been returned. Seriously, they will tell you you are not permitted to ride.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Sorry Austin, but you cannot tax a vehicle currently, until the registration has gone through and you have the V5 in your name. You cannot do this online or in the Post Office. If you buy a bike untaxed, you have to ride it with no tax until you have posted off the V5 and it has been returned. Seriously, they will tell you you are not permitted to ride.
Not what the latest announcement on the .gov.uk website says

[h=3]Buying or selling a vehicle[/h]When buying a used vehicle you will be able to use the V5C/2 - new keeper supplement to pay vehicle tax at a Post Office branch, along with the MOT certificate (if applicable) and fee. From 1 October 2014 you will also be able to pay vehicle tax using the V5C/2 online or by phone.
When selling a vehicle to a new vehicle keeper, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferable. Vehicle tax will end when a vehicle is sold and the new keeper will need to get the vehicle taxed immediately before the vehicle can be used.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

I have read a bit more about this now and does seem to be poorly thought through for handling a private purchase. I take my defence of my colleagues in DVLA back.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Hmmmmmm, I never quite got to the bottom of last big DVLA swindle (regarding an insured vehicle not having road tax).

Does this new idea mean that you cannot own a vehicle (car or motorcycle) and have it insured, without taxing it??

Confused of Seaford

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Under the letter of the current proposal it will not be possible to it a bike and ride it away. You will have to turn up, get the tear off v5 and take it to a main Post Office (small ones don't do tax). That means you will not be able but or sell vehicles after about 4pm Monday to Friday and after about 11am Saturday (allowing for the queues). Buying and selling a vehicle on Sunday has also been outlawed. All vehicle retail will be illegal outside Post Office opening hours.

DVLA are now aware that they will be criminalising innocent commercial activity and are reviewing it. But they were numpties not to have even spotted this.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Hmmmmmm, I never quite got to the bottom of last big DVLA swindle (regarding an insured vehicle not having road tax).

Does this new idea mean that you cannot own a vehicle (car or motorcycle) and have it insured, without taxing it??

Confused of Seaford
I think the bit that has changed is the period between buying a used bike and the last day of that month. Currently you could legally ride using the residual vehicle tax until the tax ran out. From 1st October the seller is forced to cash in the residual tax as at the exact time of sale. This means as a buyer you can't legally ride away without taxing it in your name and you won't be able tax it unless there's insurance in your name too. Which means the MID database needs to be updated in real time.

There seems to be an underlying assumption that any vehicle for sale will be SORN for the period before it is sold.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts