Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a 1988 (vintage?) XRV 650 RD03, I'm yet another born again biker, alot of the new stuff is spectacular, but there's also alot of unecessary bits, thought I could strip out some of the excess....don't laugh I'm going to try it.
1) Filters anybody put K&Ns direct onto the carbs and chucked the filter box etc, in the bin, like we always used to, did they fit? did it work or blow up?
2) my bike came with aluminium sheets covering the radiator, took it out in the sunshine and it still only got a bit warm, do you really need two rads or will just the right hand side do? and does the fan ever come on?
3) Exhausts, seen Remus advertised for 750cc do they or anybody else make a silencer thats legal, nice and works on the 650cc?
4) anything else to lighten/ simplify/ play with?
5) batteries not charging, misfires, won't tick over well, alternator or what?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
XRV650, hmmmm, NICE 8)

1) K&N as a OE replacement (same type as early Transalps) is no problem, never heard of filters directly mounted on the carbs, looks to me there will be (too) little room with the carbs squeezed between the cilinders?

2) The RD03 does not seem to get as hot as the 750 in my experience (smaller engine), probably also the reason it does have the 750's oil cooler. However, I don't see the advantage of removing one radiator (unless you want to completely redesign it).

4) The 650 is already the lightest (least heavy) of the AT family, it was built by HRC and slightly closer to the desert racers than any of the other AT's. Quite a special piece if you ask me, don't spoil it
:wink:

5) My bet is regulator/rectifier unit plus worn spark plugs (no tick-over), second guess is CDI. Alternators are usually tough cookies. Just measure the voltage on the battery (fully charge first to make sure what you measure): Switch lights off, ignition on. Battery is usually 12.5 - 13 V without load, a little lower at idle and then climb to 13.5 - 14.5 when revving it up. See what happens if you switch the light on: If the voltage drops under the static battery voltage it is probably the regulator / rectifier. But check all the wiring & connectors before spending a lot of money.

Have fun!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts