Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you lot know, I have been a member of a mountain rescue team for over 13 years and this weekend for the first time in all of those years, I have actually ended up needing their services. Were doing an exercise on steep ground on friday night between midnight and 5 am, and after 3 k of searching an horrid tumpy grass which was on the side of a steep valley my ankle creaked then crunched then really really hurt. Sat down for a minute then realised that I couldn't put any weight on it and was going to need help to get down. Weather crap, cold and raining. The boys looked absolutely petrified initially because I am a tough old bird and usually ignore injuries with the help of volterol and co-codamol and I am reknowned to never, ever hand over my kit, and one of the first things I asked was that someone offload some weight from my rucsack. Wasn't enough this time though and they realised that they were going to have to do something - as I teach them all of the first aid the thought of actually having to do it for real to me couldn't have been nice.

Because I plan and teach all the first aid it is not unknown for me to become "unwell" on the side of a mountain and there were the initial threats that if this was an exercise I was going for a swim in the nearest river.

The dosed me up with painkillers and with the help of a couple of sticks and some very patient rescuers we finally and very slowely walked off the mountain.

What a fantastic bunch of guys - not once did I worry that I wouldn't get off, they reguarly offered me the use of a strecher to which I pointed out that as I wasn't quite dead yet I wouldn't be using it, and they took the p*** all the way down just to keep my spirits up. We got back and they insisted I do the old RICE thingy (Rest, ice, compression, elevation) and dosed me up further with a few beers

It looks like it was an old injury, I injured ligiments in my anke about 5 years ago doing a mountain marrathon when I fell and twisted my ankle had come back to haunt me, its a bit sore and puffy now and I will need to wear my ankle support for a couple of weeks and (and maybe not carry my kit for a while although that's debateable because I am a terrible patient) although I doubt any of the boys will let me out on the hill for the rest of the year.

It is a situation that any mountain rescuer dreads, but I couldn't have been in safer and more competent hands.

S

·
0 Posts
Oi you Mabel. what are you doing here at 6am???? get back to bed and rest that foot :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Hope your healing OK and this doesn't mean you'll have to sit and let Mr Mabel do all the Christmas jobs :wink:

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Get well soon Mabel, you can borrow my spare leg for changing gear if you like :lol: :shock:

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
You forgot to tell them what you washed the painkillers down with, why you were giggling and how much you appreciated being lifted over the last stile :D :D :D

·
aka Oxbone :)
1,514 Posts
Mabel's Old Man said:
You forgot to tell them what you washed the painkillers down with, why you were giggling and how much you appreciated being lifted over the last stile :D :D :D
Now the truths coming out..... LOL

Heal rapid and ride carefully Mabel....

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Shame they don't make crash bars for humans (well nurses at least).
Get well soon.

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Mabel,
you should just have lay on the ground , screamed your head off and maybe they would have got you a chopper !!! Lift back to the carpark in a wirlybird !!

You take care now, remember not to forget and dab down the sore leg !!
when you stop. Helmets don't muffle screaming or bad language all that much.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Get well soon. (p.s. I expect boboneleg can give advice to help with the riding!)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Sod it!!!!!!!!!! Was that honestly the first thing you said :cussing:

Seriously Mabel, glad you came back down safely. You'll soon be back on your bike having forgotten all about it.

Do you think the sick leave will stretch 'til after Christmas? :laughing5:

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
glad your ok mabel and thanks to the lads for getting you down safely 8)

mind you if the didnt i bet they would have known all about it :lol: :lol:

how long will it take to heal ? its a real pain in the ass these type of injurys always come back to haunt you :roll:

big respect that its not keeping you off twinkletoes 8)

·
Huh?
2,328 Posts
Glad you're Ok, Mabel. Get better soon!

Regarding the Voltarol, it should be in the water - what a difference it makes to the way you feel when you're in pain. It's ACE!!

Good luck!!

-Simon

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
hope you fix soon mabel! :D

big respect for being in the mountain rescue!

luckily have never needed your services - hopefully never will, but it's nice to know that there are people out there if the worst happens! :D

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys, now obviously being a nurse I haven't actually sought any medical advise because I know better :roll:

But the puffiness is going down a little and I can do up and down movements without too much trouble (good news because I can change gear.) I have a great bruise that runs from the inside of my ankle under the bottom of my foot, in fact I showed it to my house officer today and her comments were " well thats not a happy foot is it" :D :D

Side to side movements not so easy as there is a bit in my ankle that crunches and hurts a bit.

I reckon a couple of weeks resting it with no heavy mountaineering and it will be much better.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Mabel said:
Side to side movements not so easy as there is a bit in my ankle that crunches and hurts a bit.
:shock: yeeeeeeoooouuuuuch :shock:

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
Wee Jack said:
Mabel,
you should just have lay on the ground , screamed your head off and maybe they would have got you a chopper !!! Lift back to the carpark in a wirlybird !!

We'd have to be seriously dead before that happens, couldn't take the p**s taking :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts