Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many useful posts on this excellent forum, I had a go at blasting with soda. I came to the conclusion that in order to the old beemer back to any sort of order would require me to spend endless hours with wire discs, emery cloth etc.

But chapeeeeeezzz, this soda blasting is really the dog's danglies :thumbup:

You may remember I was given an old R80 beemer that had been lying for around 15 years.
Stripped it down, fired her up and away she went.
The front brakes were stripped down the fluid had been in the system that long that the master cylinder seals were knackered as were the rubber brake lines, The calipers were also solid.

Anyways, fuddled about for a while, got some great tips from you guys, thanks very much :thumbup:
Bought a gun of e bay for a fiver, bought two bags of sodium bicarbonate from my local animal feedstuff retailer for £11 each ---- had to laugh, the store was full of old crofters -

" You got any sodium bicarbonate ??"
" Is it for bloat ?? " :confused:
" No a bmw !! "

The shop suddenly went silent and I could feel the crofter's eyes stabbing me in the back :D
Guess they thought I was trying to take the mickey out of their rather attractive salesgirl :D

I then bumbled out some sort of story about removing rust with powder.
The crofters continued babbling on at each other, glaring at me with sympathetic eyes, they obviously thought I had a slate missing :D
Back to the plot, managed to borrow a 85 compressor from one of our plant hire companies, put an in line water trap on the air bag and away I went

Anyway,

Piccie time --

A rather grubby rear wheel

Picture 194.jpg

Wheel after blasting, hub not done, pretty grotty, eh ?

Picture 197.jpg

The " blasting cubicle " looks a mess with the soda lying about, but a quick hose down with water after the job was done and it's all good :mrgreen:

Picture 199.jpg

Finished rear wheel and hub

Picture 205.jpg

Many many thanks to the guys who pointed me in the right direction -- you know who you are :toothy10: really chuffered with the results :cool:
Recommend soda blasting to anyone :thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Fantastic stuff John

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Great pictures, looks like you enjoyed yourself.

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Looking good John, now if you do the whole engine/gearbox it would make a good base for a Cafe racer! :toothy10:

Andy.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
works a treat eh john:thumbup: ,,, you got yourself a sweet little project there you jammy bugger:thumbup:

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can just imagine the conversations with the neighbours when they walked past!
Are you sure that gearbox isn't from a John Brown tractor?
:thefinger::thefinger: A very clean tractor now I'll have you know, anyway aren't your bosses German ??? :D

Way forward for me now, no more emery :D
Did the engine, box, forks, the lot-- looks shiny shiny :thumbup:

Not going along the cafe racer way at the moment - but that may change ;)

hoping to get on the road about Easter time but having to work on Skye at the mo, so only weekend work :(

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
priceless......:toothy1:

·
sfx wheels
806 Posts
google adsense is great for a bit of extra dosh ,,,,,,,,,,, but dont you just hate it when they advertise a similar service on yr video

mine runs at about between 50p and one fifty a day

·
Administrator
1,783 Posts
... interested to hear who the Soda supplier was maybe its like red diesel if its for agricultural use?
I've tried a couple of local "horsey"-type places for soda, but with no luck (I gather it's used as an animal health product??) Any suggestions for suppliers ? (just a couple of kilos, not tons/tonnes at a time!)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Try agricultural supplies merchants as opposed the equestrian supplies. About £12:00 for 25 kilos.

Reactions: hotbulb

·
Registered
8 Posts
For blasting purposes you should go for Coarse Granular Sodium Bicarbonate - http://www.easternchemicals.co.uk will supply from 25kg upwards so ideal for your requirements. Not sure how much delivery would cost though as this usually adds up - our supplier is Soda Blast Systems UK Home who are based in Birmingham if that's not too far away give them a call...

Cheers Keith.
Soda Blasting Cleaning Scotland

Try agricultural supplies merchants as opposed the equestrian supplies. About £12:00 for 25 kilos.

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
Try this lot

Harbro: Quality Livestock Nutrition -

That's where I got mine.
I believe the soda is given to cattle to prevent " bloat ", stops them farting I guess :confused::D:D
the problem comes when they get gases built up in one of their stomachs and cannot belch or fart it out, Bicarb helps prevent it, stuffing a tube down their throat can let it out, the worst case scenario i ever had was a yearling that we could not stop bloating, I was sorting it twice a day with the pipe method (the gases dont half stink when you let em out) so a quick word with our tame vet one day when he was visitng and he cut a hole in its side and into it,s stomach and stitched the sides back so it would not heal, then if you saw it bloated you had to go up to it and stick your finger in the hole to clear any blockage, (and run like hell )

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ooh I've got a 2005 chinese GY200 enduro to sort out as it's stood in the garage for three years. Paint is literally falling off it's so crap a finish so want to blast it all off and Hammerite it

You've got me thinking :thumbright:

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You're certainly right there, very addictive :thumb:

Think the days of scratching about with an emery cloth are now long gone in my opinion.I even gave the chrome bits a very light dusting, came up really well.

Mind you, I can still see bits of soda lurking about the electrics :D, quick splodge of wd40 and good as new :blob4:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I have to say Keith did a great job on the wheels and disk carriers. I'm not sure how long it took him but they were pretty intricate 'snowdrop' wheels and they came back lovely. Once back I simply washed them down in the kitchen sink let them dry and it was straight on with the primer.

Now the paint has been applied and lacquered I have to admit they look like new with really crisp lines and just go to make the rest of the bike look grubby. I've just spent the evening repainting the callipers and I guess I'll be working my way rearwards.

Soda blasting and Keith. I'd recommend them both :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts