Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
nunquam scienter utilis
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for a ride yesterday, and managed to pick up a nail in the back tyre. Luckily, I was only going slowly - about 10 mph as I was slowing for a corner. It would have been nasty at speed. The nail had managed to make slit just over half an inch in length in the tube, and I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to patch it. I was worried that the slit would "tear" and the patch wouldn't hold as I put pressure back in the tube. I didn't pump it up too much as I didn't want to stress it too much - just enough to ride on (about 10psi), and it got me home :). I've now put a new tube in. I've learned a couple of lessons
1, have faith in patches (as a get-you-home anyway), and
2, Honda did a really crap job designing the rear wheel. It's a real pig to put back in when you're in the middle of nowhere. Much harder than in a nice cozy garage!

Also, I know people here have asked about "slime" and other tyre goo's, but here they wouldn't have had a chance.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Downside of tubeless tyres: Can't patch the tube and they're a right baastard to get on the rim without a continuous supply of compressed air.

Upside of tubeless tyres: You can stick the nail back in the hole and ride 10 more miles to a tyre shop: :rolleyes:

Not that I'd recommend it, but the ferry doesn't wait and all that. ;-)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Went out for a ride yesterday, and managed to pick up a nail in the back tyre. Luckily, I was only going slowly - about 10 mph as I was slowing for a corner. It would have been nasty at speed. The nail had managed to make slit just over half an inch in length in the tube, and I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to patch it. I was worried that the slit would "tear" and the patch wouldn't hold as I put pressure back in the tube. I didn't pump it up too much as I didn't want to stress it too much - just enough to ride on (about 10psi), and it got me home :). I've now put a new tube in. I've learned a couple of lessons
1, have faith in patches (as a get-you-home anyway), and
2, Honda did a really crap job designing the rear wheel. It's a real pig to put back in when you're in the middle of nowhere. Much harder than in a nice cozy garage!

Also, I know people here have asked about "slime" and other tyre goo's, but here they wouldn't have had a chance.
That is the only downside I have about the Transalp, the fact that it uses tubes. A tubeless tyre can be plugged but a tubed tyre requires major surgery to repair.
Don't forget to put the patch inside the tube, the slit then seals on the out side and it stands more chance of holding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts