Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, as it says really, I was trying to fix/fit a car stereo at the weekend and the wire from one of the prongs (for want of a better or maybe more acurate term) came out, I stripped it a little more and shoved it back in, to make a more permanant fix could I not drop some solder on the bottom and shove the wie in then heat up the prong? till the solder melts and everone is happy again?
I did toy with the idea of just waving the bare metal wires around and carry on regardless, but think my 9 lives must be all used up by now.
(It's the neg prong if that makes a diff:rolleyes:)

So will it work ?
Be accurate ?

Or should I ask Father Christmas, and if so whats best value at the moment (cheap and good and digital if you can)

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
As long as the connection is clean and tight there should be no problems we do it all the time in work.:thumbup:

·
vodka tester
476 Posts
Just buy some new leads if it is a lead.... if they do not unplug then a new meter is required if you can't solder it, plenty about, just avoid the likes of RS and Maplins (they both seem to charge the earth)

Roy

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that, I'll have a little go with the soldering Iron first, if not, new leads or failing that a new meter. I didn;t want to just dump some solder in there (if it does work that is) and then get duff readings, takes all my effort to try and understand the thing in the first place:thumbup:

L

·
0 Posts
A soldered joint will be in the realms of around 0.1ohms.. Not gonna effect any readings.. Just though if the joint is easy to get to put some sealant around it before using the meter for 50v+ ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts