Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys -

its been along time since doing soldering at school

lastnight i set about joining 4 pieces of wires on my @ wiring loom...

how do you hold two wires (end on facing once another) - and hold the sodlering iron - and hold the solder wire to make it all work..

surely there must be some sort of clamp one uses to hold it all in place~???

any way - i could only achieve this my getting a mate to come and help out...

ay ideas??:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
ok guys -

how do you hold two wires (end on facing once another) - and hold the sodlering iron - and hold the solder wire to make it all work..

Twist the wires together before soldering. This will also make the joint stronger mechanically than just laying the two wires side by side and soldering.

Or, you can do what this guy describes and splice the wires together before soldering -

Splicing and then soldering

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
Usually if joining two wires together, end on .. I give them a little twist

Then apply the solder to iron , just a bit then heat the wire and then apply solder til solder flows over the join.

I usually forget to thread some heat shrink before joining the wire .. or not pushing the heat shrink up the wire far enough..

When the join is done ,, finish the job with the heat shrink ..
Its much better than tape ,, but if you have to tape , use self amaligating (sp?) tape..

If you need the cheap third hand . use a elastic band on some needlenose priers , secure in vice lightly , with one handle in vice.
Then you can open the pliers to secure wire ..

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
ok guys -

easy! take a cable strip off insulation place wires together and twist them over the original cable this just joining 1 cable to another but principle is same

not a great photo

twist one or more cables over the original cable that you want to join too

hope this helps slightly

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
The 'tool' commonly goes under the name of 'helping hands' and it is very useful indeed. No one has mentioned flux here. I know a lot of solder is multicore but you cant beat a liberal dose of acid flux. I've not had a lot of success with multicore alone, maybe I'm doing something wrong!

·
Administrator
1,775 Posts
But I've always understood that acid flux is a no-no with wiring, because it tends to creep along the strands and eventually corrodes them away.(Good for tinware, sheet copper etc, though). For electrical work, Resin-cored solder is the way to go.
:thumbup:

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
That tool is dearer on ebay than i paid in my local shop
Yeah, I've noticed that a few times on ebay recently (though I wasn't sure about these things £7 seemed cheap to me - as I say, probably best to search for the best one - my link was just meant as an example of what I was thinking of really).

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i put a wooden clothes peg in a small (but superb if i say so myself)steel vice i was slaved into filing from a solid block in my apprenticeship, not bolted to the table so it can move, and use that as a spare hand.

i found if youve got a lot of wires to do, in lots of different positions, your spending longer adjusting the "helping hands" than you are soldering.
also, for a lot of bike soldering, you do it in situ, so you better get used to twisting your grip to hold onto several bits at once, including the soldering iron (ive soldered with it in my teeth more than once!). a butane iron beats a mains every time when your going back and forth

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
The 'tool' commonly goes under the name of 'helping hands' and it is very useful indeed. No one has mentioned flux here. I know a lot of solder is multicore but you cant beat a liberal dose of acid flux. I've not had a lot of success with multicore alone, maybe I'm doing something wrong!
MOst solder has flux in it the only time i use extra flux is when the copper core has gone black then the flux helps clean the cores and even then it can take time for the solder to take to the cores

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
when you handle components, especially twisting wires together, you spread sweat and dead skin all over it. the flux core in some solders is very small, sometimes it helps to dip the component and the iron tip in a bit of flux. the flux also helps heat to flow across the joint, so its worth using a bit extra.
old style flux eats copper wires, or more accurately eats the very thin varnish which is on each wire strand leaving it open to corrosion, but most stuff these days should be resin anyway, something to do with the fumes and health and safety

1 - 13 of 13 Posts