Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMPO, not be everyone's cup of tea but just picked up my newly re-inforced rear subframe for the oilhead from the coaters this afternoon, will be fitting it over the weekend all being well.

and the obligatory before shot!

It's a bespoke service offered by Vern at Project VND along with his luggage systems and other services.

He also added 50mm to the bikes side stand having already lengthened the one for the modified AT, makes all the difference to the bikes angle and much more secure and easier to handle, care to play spot the joins?

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Subframe looks cool, pity you have to fit all the bits back on to it. :D

Andy.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Lovely work

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Subframe looks cool, pity you have to fit all the bits back on to it. :D

Andy.

Yeah I know, but the bike ain't the most comfortable with it off :)

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All the necessary fittings sorted, going to try and get the bike back together this afternoon ;)

·
sfx wheels
806 Posts
SDC11931.jpg

if they werent so different they`d be the same ,,,,lol

1976 maico bits and frame

acid stripped and powdercoated RAL 3020

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
My Good, what are you going to take on?

After all that reinforcement, the next thing to give way under stress is the.... engine block? ;)

The magic Wizzard, Tony Foale have written a very good book on how to reinforce a bike frame, for those of you that are in to that sort of saturday fun

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Hows it going Roger , i know how much of a ******* !!!! it is to try and re pack all the gubbin's back in those subframes;) :D:D:D

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hows it going Roger , i know how much of a ******* !!!! it is to try and re pack all the gubbin's back in those subframes;) :D:D:D
Absolute bollox to get the frame back in place, needed an extra pair of hands, the AT was a piece of piss compared to the GS, mind you I love it and it's a definite keeper. :thumbup:

Frame is seriously beautifully put together, the bike is geared mainly for two up riding with luggage, but the additional benefit is that the handling should be improved (not that it's poor to begin with:) ) as the rear shock has a more rigid" mounting point.

First view of the new sub frame in situ.

Seat and tank in place.

Together with the extended side stand I think I've got a pretty good combination. Still have to fit the side panels though, lent them to a friend who wanted to impress his other half, I'm regretting it now.

Will get her out on the road this weekend and see how it goes. :blob6:

·
17,680 Posts
well done mate , told you it was a double hander:D

that looks sweet in white:cool::cool::cool:

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
On the 1100, traditionally it's the bolt connecting that work of art to the gearbox. But I'll take it as a given that he's got the TT hardparts on it. :)
Then again, looking at the pics, maybe not. Looks good though. :mrgreen:

'Ey Thunder, that's a serious weak point you've got there. If you ever bottom out the rear shock, all that fancy frame fortification isn't going to do squat.

·
17,680 Posts
knowing our thunder theres an Ohlins in there some place and the chance of that bottoming out are minimal , however it would be worth getting sorted.

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ohlins already in situ, as for the gear box reinforcement, got that sorted already, just have them sitting in the parts cleaner ready for fitting :p

Oh and as Chad says, chances of bottoming a properly set up Ohlins are pretty slim, but your right, not worth taking chances. :thumbright:

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Ah, there ya go then, couldn't imagine you hadn't sorted a bit of reinforcement there given the general state of the bike. :mrgreen:

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
You need an old Transalp to rebuild whilst 'someone' rides around on one of those bikes for you.....:)

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fear not, they get ridden, loads of miles planned already :p

Just thought these are pretty good references for before and after fans. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts