Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do "Alps" have rev limiters? I ask because earlier today I was doing a multiple overtake in a crawler lane going up a steepish hill, fourth gear I think, may have been third. I glanced down to make sure I was not too illegal as the area has been known to sport cameras from time to time. The tacho was indicating well into the red zone and almost out the other side! I felt no engine retardation at all. ????? :confused:

Also what sort of tank range can I expect? I havent had the bike long enough to gauge average fuel consumption. I have used half a tank this week, general commuting stuff and 110 miles shows on the odometer. Is this about right? 200 miles per tankful?

Regards
Tom

·
Registered
779 Posts
The fuel gauge on the alp is pretty poor. 200 miles/tank is pretty standard, I tend to get less than 0.1 l/mile- 16 litres normally does me for 170 miles. (filling up at 170 means I never have to panic about petrol stations)

And no, I don't think there is a rev limitter. I've taken mine to 8.8 on an overtake as you describe, the fact you got yours higher suggests that if there is a limitter it's probably not at an engine speed indicated on the tacho! (and you were probably in third gear, as 8.5k is about 85mph in third)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've got an XL700 and can confirm that mine has definitely got a rev limiter.

I too was thinking about the MPG just the other day and looked into it and for commuting, most of the miles I've done on my new bike since I've had it, it is getting roughly 45 MPG.

It's a shock for me as my last bile used to get 55 to 70 MPG depending on how it was ridden.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: Fuel consumption

45 MPG? Are you sure SKID? My XL 700 does 56 - 59 (UK)MPG (20 - 21 kilometre/1 litre).
I'm going to keep an eye on it but this is my 'commute' MPG as I haven't done much long distance stuff yet.

My commute is 4-5 miles to and from work. "hardly worth it" I hear you say but in a car it'll take 30-40 minutes, on a bike it's 10-15 ;)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Skid, with the miles to and from work you are getting about right.
The engine will take a while to warm up so the FI is using a rich mixture.
It would need to run at least 10 miles each way to get economical consumption.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Cool, that's stopped me from worrying about it as all I had to go by was my last bikes MPG to compare as my last place of work was 14 miles each way and was fast in places.

Anyway I'll soon start putting in some longer runs to see just how good it is an the real proof of the pudding will be when I do TLD in 2011 ;)

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
No rev limiter on the 600 or 650. When I got my 650 I was riding it as if I'd stolen it back from South Wales and having spent half an hour in the twisties I was on a dual carriageway at a shade under a ton. In fourth gear. It must have taken me five minutes to realise. :angel1:

No ill effects noted 10,000 miles later... :thumbup:

My MPG is reliably rubbish but I live in central London and like to get a move on when, rarely, I get out of it. I rarely see 180 from a tank though the fuel gauge is way out: it's still got some miles left when it's gone right through the red, crossed the bottom line and is touching the letter 'E'! :cool:

Both my 100hp ZZR and 1100cc Pan use less fuel. It's scandalous, but I would forgive my Alp almost anything for the pleasure it brings! :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
There is quite a difference in fuel consumption on the 700 Alp between town use in places like London with its unavoidable frequent stops for lights, jams, etc. or very short rides generally and long open road rides. People getting 55mpg or more will do a lot of out of town riding but for those that do wholly busy town journeys, it drops right down to maybe 45 mpg or even less.

Obviously it depends how you ride it but whichever way you do, it is probably where you do which largely explains why people report such variations in consumption.

My riding has been a mixture of the two over the six months I've owned it from new with much more out of town than in. Having kept a record, it has managed an average of 12.3 miles per litre, equivalent to about 56mpg. But within that the variations on each tankful have been between about 11.5mpl and 13.5mpl (52-61mpg). I'm a laid back rider, rarely getting the revs anywhere near the red and I don't do dirt, road only. The mere thought of getting a micron of mud on this two wheel machine of such coruscating pulchritude fills me with horror.

On the open road then, the practical maximum tank range, ie. not risking running it dry, in my riding style is a bit over 200m. In heavy town riding, I wouldn't trust it more than 160m. Rev tarts will achieve less.

What is surprising as others have said is how poor generally the Alp is in this regard compared with other much larger bikes. I got about the same consumption out of my BMW 1200 RT and my Harley Road King 1450. My modern low consumption one litre car does about the same as my Alp, 45mpg in town and well over 50mpg on the road.

·
Administrator
1,790 Posts
Yes, the consumption is quite disappointing.The last bike I had, nearly 20 Years ago, was a CG125 which seemed to do about 200 mpg! The Transalp was a shock (although I love it). Has anyone come up witha successful means of reducing consumption?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes, the consumption is quite disappointing.The last bike I had, nearly 20 Years ago, was a CG125 which seemed to do about 200 mpg! The Transalp was a shock (although I love it). Has anyone come up witha successful means of reducing consumption?
The weak joke answer is to leave it in the garage.

Otherwise the only way to eke out a little more road from your fuel that I can see is to ride more gently, keeping the revs down in each gear, combined with a lot of anticipation so that unnecessary acceleration and braking is avoided giving a smoother ride. But all this doesn't make a huge difference, maybe an extra 5-10 mpg tops compared with a rider who maxes it all the time.

But I guess there's not much point in riding in a style which you don't really like just to save a bit of fuel. Riding gently simply won't appeal I'm sure to a lot of riders.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yes - have to agree about fuel consumption. I too had a ZZR and given the weight, the huge power and the more enthusiastic riding, I too am surprised at the 700 TA's poorer economy. FI should theoretically improve things too.

Co-incidentally the wife's one year old 1.2 litre Renault small MPV thing averages about 35 mpg, yet my 12 year old golf 2 litre 16v GTI averages about 38 - from similar use.

Cannot immediatly think of why this should be ref the TA - lack of fairing, high riding position, tight tolerances within the engine - it's why they last so long maybe....

·
Registered
897 Posts

I'm going to keep an eye on it but this is my 'commute' MPG as I haven't done much long distance stuff yet.

My commute is 4-5 miles to and from work. "hardly worth it" I hear you say but in a car it'll take 30-40 minutes, on a bike it's 10-15 ;)
Skid you've been riding the wrong bike altogether for that distance to work! What you need is a cycle which will save alot of premature wear on your engine AND get you fitter for the long distance transalp riding;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine is also heavy on fuel, less than 50 mpg/20 km/l. That is open road riding. Commuting 30 km a couple of times a week (light traffic by your standards) and the consumption is worse. Hopefully it will improve as the motor loosens. It has only done 2400 kms.
My Corsa pickup diesel gives about the same consumption and my 1983 BMW K100RS betters it slightly and that is a very heavy machine.
Nice to ride but disappointing in this area. Skid should consider one of those cheap 110 cc stepthru's for his short commute and use the TA where the performance is needed.

·
Stop looking at my Member
266 Posts
As others say, my 700 starts flashing the warning at between 115-120 and I'll normally fill in 15litres at 140 miles. All London riding which tends to be low speed high revs stuff to weave through stationary traffic.

Did Bikesafe last week and noticed much better range with the afternoon out in the boonies.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Skid you've been riding the wrong bike altogether for that distance to work! What you need is a cycle which will save alot of premature wear on your engine AND get you fitter for the long distance transalp riding;)
I totally agree and I'm all for keeping me and the bike in good running (riding) order.

Problem is though that the missus thinks it a little unsafe for a man-powered bike as the route to work takes me through a bit of a "dodgy" area.

·
Do you have any cheese?
313 Posts
Co-incidentally the wife's one year old 1.2 litre Renault small MPV thing averages about 35 mpg, yet my 12 year old golf 2 litre 16v GTI averages about 38 - from similar use.
Its the goverment I tell you, They make things less economical these days and increase the price of petrol!!

Robbing B******DS the lot of them!!

Damn that felt good!

:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.