Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up this morning to find this....

That's right, the bastards unbolted the front wheel of my KLR and took the rest of the bike. Now come the hassle of dealing with the insurance company and the bigger one of worrying when they're coming back for the AT or the stuff in the house. Bastards!!!

(No comments about the driveway needing cleaning please :deal: )

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is what the bike looked like a couple of miles ago.. Registration DU04BPE.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Sorry to hear that

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
This is what the bike looked like a couple of miles ago.. Registration DU04BPE.

Thats another arguement to bring back capitol punishment, hang them all

·
Do you have any cheese?
313 Posts
Gutted for you mate, absolute scum!! I'll keep my eye out for any KLR bits for sale down this way!

I would put a million locks on that twin going to something very heavy though!! Just to be on the safe side!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gutted for you mate, absolute scum!! I'll keep my eye out for any KLR bits for sale down this way!

I would put a million locks on that twin going to something very heavy though!! Just to be on the safe side!
Thanks guys. Yes, I am pretty worried about the AT. Maverick is coming round tonight to see if we can improvise a ground anchor - preferrably attached to the National Grid..

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Scum!

Gutted for you...

Put a switch on it to an extremely loud siren, soon as the bike is moved it goes off. Locks can be easily broken very quietly and whole bikes removed without making a sound (as proved by yours doing a vanishing act).

If an extremely loud siren goes off as they move the bike they'll be off like Tuckers dog.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Thanks guys. Yes, I am pretty worried about the AT. Maverick is coming round tonight to see if we can improvise a ground anchor - preferrably attached to the National Grid..
What you need is some rebar and a bucket or two of concrete. There is a rather tall gent not far from you that may be help.

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
s##t! sorry for you Lootch :mad:

ref audible siren:

if you need a quick wireless fix, ive used a motion sensing battery powered alarm before (it was for fitting to glass windows) but went off as soon as you move it. Think it was made by yale - smaller than a packet of fags but pretty loud.

just need to hide it in the bike where you can reach in to switch it on and off - along with extra locks etc, may make them bugger off if they try again

Hope u get it back.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thats another arguement to bring back capitol punishment, hang them all
Bit harsh that ... Just chop their hands off for stealing.

Sorry to hear about your bike Lootch I know that feeling all too well ... here's hoping the local plods find it before it's converted to it's constituant parts ... but don't hold yer breath.

I can recomment Xena alarmed Disk Locks and they also do a dockyard strength chain that can be locked with the disc lock. I'd also recommend chaning the rear wheel over the seat with a heavy chain. It makes it awkward to move the bike as you have to lift the heavy end and it keeps the chain away from the ground that they can use to "open" the lock and as an added befit stops them nicking your back wheel.

·
Registered
195 Posts
All good ideas on security, but my favourite security device is a four legged land shark. Audible alarm, with added bite protection.:thumb:

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
I had one of these in London: The Ultimate Security Ground Anchor

Works pretty well, although it does give them the floor as leverage...

I used a huge almax chain, with the Squire padlock... No guarantees, but they'll need something pretty substantial to get it open.

JB

·
White van man
560 Posts
Sorry to hear this, thieving scumbags.

Get the wheel on ebay, then see who's bidding?

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Bad news indeed.

Any probs with the insurance give me a shout.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Whealie, I'm already "upset" with them but I'll try to contain myself for the time being....

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Really sorry to hear this mate.

Looking at your first pic - is there anyway you can link the two chains you have - then using the designer block in the wall, chain it through that then through the engine of the bike, locking it underneath. (I can picture what Im trying to say, not sure its that clear in what I wrote)!

I'd recommend the six foot almax with squire lock. Mines long enough to through the engine or over the seat, then lightly locks to a ground anchor.

The almax is expensive but they'll give you a discount when you call up and they're lovely people to deal with. The guy, Alan (Almax is an amalgum of Alan and Maxine, the couple who run the show) talked to me for nearly an hour getting the best options for securing the CBR600. If you tell them what bike you have, they'll advise you accordingly.

(That being said, I got lazy and started just locking the front wheel when I got in from work - this thread has put the frighteners on me and when I get the bike back, it's back to locking it through the frame!!!!!).

I hope it works out for you ok with the insurance mate - good luck - sorry to hear this happened to you - and try and take some comfort in the fact they will get whats comming to them - sooner or later, one way or another.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks alpslapper, I have two Almax chains and Squire locks which I use on the bikes - probably why they thought it best to rather leave the front wheel. Since I've been using them no-one has even attempted to crack them. I do have to agree with you on the people at Almax. I had the exact same experience.

Unfortunately I can't use the wall as it's the neighbour's and I really don't want to put a good friendship at risk because someone has pulled down their wall in an effort to get to my bike.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts