Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy (14) was a great kid. Almost a bit over-enthusiastic for the healthy lifestyle, coming home and working out and insisting on healthy salads.

Then sometime this year, he got a girlfriend.

He now lies on his bed talking to her on the phone. We tried to stop him.

Tonight I went online to see how many of his minutes he had spent.

He has, so far, overspent his contract by £477 plus VAT.:(

I was having a calm and peaceful word with him when his mum, the good lady wife, came home.

The United Nations, in their blue hats an blue bullet-proof vests, are currently holding the pair them apart.

My full range of diplomacy skills are now required;)

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Oh dear. Bit late now but I made a point of putting the kids on pay as you go tariffs.

When it's gone it's gone. And if they want more they pay for it themselves.

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
I know exactly where you're coming from (apart from the big phone bill)

my 17 year old daughter is much the same with her boyfriend.

my solution with the phone was to put her on a T-Mobile fixed contract, if she uses her contract allocation of talk time and texts the phone stops working and essentially becomes a pay as you go phone for the rest of the month.

I pay £15 a month and she pays the rest IF she needs it

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh dear. Bit late now but I made a point of putting the kids on pay as you go tariffs.

When it's gone it's gone. And if they want more they pay for it themselves.
OH he pays. :hitler:

And Vodafone seem pretty reasonable about knocking a chunk off. One call to lover girl (who we have never met) was £70 FFS.:rolleyes:

I think I deserve an introduction to this temptress, at least.

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
£477!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

f*cking hell - is his girlfriend on a premium number or something......

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
£477!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

f*cking hell - is his girlfriend on a premium number or something......
I think he rings your wife while you are away.:D

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
Yes PAYG for our kids and they buy their own credit, when Laura went to uni they were trying to sell he a contract, i said ok but you are responsible for it, look at what you spend now on PAYG, then how much a contract is going to cost every month even if you cannot afford it and have a good think, now she still has PAYG cos a mobile is useless out at sea, and we have an orange broadband contract and can use the phone on that to phone her at no extra cost
when she is in port
Merv

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Been there paid that:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Only ours was a bit more:(
Pay as you go:thumb::thumb:
is the way to go:angel9:

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
I think he rings your wife while you are away.:D
well, at least he has taste. have to speak to jenny and get her to pay for new tyres for my pick up then..........

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
To hell with mobiles - give him a quid and tell him to go find a phone box. See how long the relationship last then!:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
To hell with mobiles - give him a quid and tell him to go find a phone box. See how long the relationship last then!:thumbup:
Spoken like a true Scotsman. Actually I would tell him to reverse the charges :)

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Been there paid that:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Only ours was a bit more:(
Pay as you go:thumb::thumb:
is the way to go:angel9:
Me too and please don't ask :confused: but it ran into four figures, whose the mug ? she now has her own contract and is gradually paying it back to Dad, young love remember that ?, quick snog behind the bike sheds at skool and no mobiles or Facebook to distract from homework ! Interesting few years ahead :)

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just for one call? He could bought himself a reasonable sheep for that!
He got an unreasonable mother instead.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
It's lucky that you've got a calm disposition chris, £477 is a lot of money

but for some parents there'd be the extra cost of having the phone surgically removed from the teenager when they found out about the bill:D

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
my solution with the phone was to put her on a T-Mobile fixed contract, if she uses her contract allocation of talk time and texts the phone stops working and essentially becomes a pay as you go phone for the rest of the month.

I pay £15 a month and she pays the rest IF she needs it
DITTO. I pay 15 a month for daughter number 1's phone which includes unlimited texts (Which when you read the small print is actually 3001 texts or something like that in a 30 day period) and 300 minutes of call time. They very helpfully capped the 300 minutes so she cant go over them and incur additional charges on her poor dads bank account!!!!!!

This arrangement was reached after a partiuclarly frough weekend when she ran out of credit on her phone, used up all her credit on her sisters phone, then used up all my credit on my phone, then ran up a humungus landline bill, and finally, took her bank card and withdrew £40 cash and lobbed it on her mobile on the monday morning.

It's worked out pretty good in fact. She appears to be staying within the limits ...... so far ..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
My boy (14) was a great kid. Almost a bit over-enthusiastic for the healthy lifestyle, coming home and working out and insisting on healthy salads.

Then sometime this year, he got a girlfriend.

He now lies on his bed talking to her on the phone. We tried to stop him.

Tonight I went online to see how many of his minutes he had spent.

He has, so far, overspent his contract by £477 plus VAT.:(

I was having a calm and peaceful word with him when his mum, the good lady wife, came home.

The United Nations, in their blue hats an blue bullet-proof vests, are currently holding the pair them apart.

My full range of diplomacy skills are now required;)
i wish i had seen this before my youngest's testosterone went on overdrive along with his contract bill. twice @ £400+. :(:(
they never mentioned this in the parent manuals and i never saw it coming.
he's now payg.:D
and i'm skint.:(:(

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
We don't have that sort of thing here, thankfully, ours have to ask for prepaid load, for texting purposes only, every couple of days. Local landline calls are free, long distance is expensive though. My beloved "dragon", checks the phone bills with a fine tooth-comb too, no one steps out of line here, telephonically speaking! :thumbup:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Chris, She probably only lives just round the corner,

you know me, like Len, we like to make our own stuff - :rolleyes:

can't you rustle up a couple of tin cans and a ball of string??!!:D

1 - 20 of 56 Posts