Honda XRV Forum banner

Sore Knees!!

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Freerangestormer 
#1 ·
I have returned today from Scotland, covering 1500 miles in 5 days. The bike ran faultlessly, which is more than can be said for me!! My knees and hips ache. This is the first longish trip I have done on my '03 Varadero since I bought it in June, my last bike being a VFR800. I am 6'2", and longish in the leg.
Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how did you overcome it? Or, is it just me, I'm getting on after all, 56 last birthday. Perhaps I should change it and get something sensible, like a Blackbird!!

#2 ·
Well I am but a youngster at 41 :p My kneees ache after 100+ miles. I am only 5' 9 but have short legs!

I have (and still am from time to time) been a very keen fell runner and I put it down to worn out joints. The only comfortable solution for me may be a, ahem....errr cruiser!!!! Not happening really is it.

I find just swinging them forward from time to time, or standing on the pegs for a second or two helps.

#5 ·
I handed back my running shoes with my drill boots:D:D
I get an ache in my knee every now and then but only in the left, I find I have to twist the knee a bit to change gear.
It only happens if I have a long rest from distance riding
so its my excuse to get out more:thumbright:

I'm sure it would happen regardless of bike

#6 ·
Yeh, Its not just me then. Done 600 miles this week and feel like I need new knees and hips. Like others, the joints are just worn out. I find a bit of a rest and I'm good for a few more miles.

Now I just do miles in bite size chunks and as soon as the ache gets bad enough to annoy I stop.

#7 ·
I have returned today from Scotland, covering 1500 miles in 5 days. The bike ran faultlessly, which is more than can be said for me!! My knees and hips ache. This is the first longish trip I have done on my '03 Varadero since I bought it in June, my last bike being a VFR800. I am 6'2", and longish in the leg.
Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how did you overcome it? Or, is it just me, I'm getting on after all, 56 last birthday. Perhaps I should change it and get something sensible, like a Blackbird!!
I did 1400miles on my 99 Varadero a couple of weeks ago around Belgium and France with the wife no problems at all. The older ones are more comfortable i sat on a new one in local showroom a few months back and the seat was the same as my XR'S, bloody HArd

#8 ·
sore knees on a varadero? no way! sore arse, certainly, i dont find the seat particularly comfy, its too big and soft if anything.

i used to get sore knees on my triumph sprint, but not the more sat up vara. are you sure its the position and not a bit of wind chill on the old joints?

#10 ·

1500 miles in 5 days is a lot on any bike, or even in a car.

I found the knee pain thing went away after a few weeks of long days, but the sore backside led to any excuse to stop. My next bike will have a smaller tank unless seats start improving. The sore hips is all about wrapping your knees around such a big tank, it just isn't natural to sit in that position for five days.

That said, the Vara is a great way to travel and I am 6'5".

G
#12 ·
Could it be your knee armour, perhaps your jeans ain't a good fit ? Taking out the knee-armour might just make all the difference as they can pull tight against your knee. I had it again there last week on a long spin and had to take out the armour as the aching was getting to be unbearable.

I partly sold my Blackbird coz I was getting fierce pains in the knees and thought I was getting too old for it, but I still got them on the AT and it was only when riding in a new pair of jeans one day that I realised what was going on - cue many 'buggerit's !!

#13 ·
Blimey!!!

That has been going on in the back of my mind too... Any distance rides I have knee armour, last night 120 miles and my knees ached. Tonight in jeans just cold but not aching. I had wondered about the armour being the cause but figured that it was keeping my knees warm, and as such discounted it.

Do you think it is just the pressure pushing down on the knee cap?

WRT AdeTB - tut tut.... Have you never been in bed and heard the front door latch open followed by words on the other side of the duvet 's**t that's my husband home early from work!' - eat your heart out Sir Roger Bannister :D

G
#18 · (Edited)
Do you think it is just the pressure pushing down on the knee cap?
Yup, I'd a couple of different types of armour and tried them all and it made no real difference, my guess is the thickness of the armour effectively makes the length of the jeans that much shorter so the armour is being pulled in against the knee. You might not notice it so much on short trips, but over a distance it's torture. With my current leathers I can feel them after about twenty miles so I must just bin the damn things.
The next set are definitely going to have longer legs than my normal fit to take it into account. I've never had a problem with textiles because I always get a larger size in order to wear normal jeans underneath them.

#15 ·
Hi all,
Recently rode down to Assos Turkey on mi Vara, 18 diferent countries, 10 currencies 3 time zones, 18 days 6500 miles. Bit of a sore left knee, and a large very numb arse even with airhawk seat thingy.
On further investigation my leathers have a seem right across my buttocks, there is my problem.
Started saving my pennies for a new pair.

Big Dave

#16 ·
i dont think ive had my leathers on riding the vara in two years, doubt if they even fit anymore!
years ago instead of leather i opted for a decent textile suit and haven't looked back. much comfier on and off the bike.

#17 ·
6'3"/55/long legs/A7 Injectadero - 770miles in one day. Think I was wearing kevlar lined denims but definitely had airhawk pads on. Brilliant combination no issues at all.

Dave

#19 ·
Thanks for all the thoughts regarding my sore knees n hips. You have certainly given me something to think about regarding the knee armour. Since I bought the bike in June this year I have always ridden it wearing either my leathers or Draggin Jeans, but thought for this trip I would wear my textiles 'cause it always rains in Scotland, but never in Norfolk where I live! As it happens it only drizzled once, for about 20 minutes, while we were away and the rest of the time it was cool but sunny!! Might try taking the knee armour out of my textiles then have a run out for the day.

Cheers guys!

#20 ·
Just back from a 5 day trip to Sicily and southern Italy during which I clocked 1200 miles. Sore knees indeed and being a bit longish at 6' 7" and-a-half it was to be expected that my joints would suffer over long distances.

However, must admit that I did take out the armour mid-way during the trip and that improved things thank you very much.

Had planned to fit foot pegs on the crash bars prior to the trip but forgot. But next trip the Vara will have a set of forward foot pegs which should ease the pain on them legs.

Happy trails everyone.

Brian

#21 ·
I have heard of guys in the US fitting highway pegs to the crash bars but I suspect that wouldn't be as much help in Europe where we tend not to cover as long straight distances and I personally don't fancy twisties with my feet up front on a Vara.

The reading sight went at 45 in less than a year, the knees are shot from crawling around ships double bottom tanks for years (not as sporty as the rest of you), the bladder has long since shrunk so I guess the hips are next :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.