Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The XR i've bought is on SORN, and it seems that this has expired in the previous owners hands. If I now put the bike on SORN will I be lible for the fine or the previous owner?

One last thing, when I get the bike tax'd does this automatically cancel the SORN or are there a huge amount of forms to fill out?

Cheers

·
Registered
86 Posts
The XR i've bought is on SORN, and it seems that this has expired in the previous owners hands. If I now put the bike on SORN will I be lible for the fine or the previous owner?

One last thing, when I get the bike tax'd does this automatically cancel the SORN or are there a huge amount of forms to fill out?

Cheers
Hi blue im not sure how it works but when i got my bike i took the v5 document to the post office all they did was scan it and told me thats it sorn
they told me only the owner of the bike can sorn there own bike so you should be ok as long as you havnt had the bike for months before enquiring hope this helps :thumbright:

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
As soon as you get the V5 back sorn or tax it,
i got a fine once for having a bike with a seized engine i got for spares not on sorn, i bought it for spares, the guy said he had it in sorn for 2 months before i got it, so i thought it would be like the tax 10 months before i had to do it again,I had it about 6 months and one day a letter dropped through the box with a £30 fine for not sorning the thing,

but all you have to do is sorn it on the DVLA website or tax it as on the website or at the post office automatically cancels it as you say
Merv

·
Registered
86 Posts
As soon as you get the V5 back sorn or tax it,
i got a fine once for having a bike with a seized engine i got for spares not on sorn, i bought it for spares, the guy said he had it in sorn for 2 months before i got it, so i thought it would be like the tax 10 months before i had to do it again,I had it about 6 months and one day a letter dropped through the box with a £30 fine for not sorning the thing,

but all you have to do is sorn it on the DVLA website or tax it as on the website or at the post office automatically cancels it as you say
Merv
yes your right but the post office told me that even tho the previous owner had it sorn i have to do it myself so even tho an owner says its ok its sorn just go do it yourself too keep yourself right just thaught it would help others see how easy it is to get into trouble taking another mans word

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

Cheers
I'd sorn as soon as the log book arrives,(you could always phone the DVLA and tell them whats going on, there helpful if you contact them before any issues arrise) once the computer nails you thats it, but the grace period seems longer now than when sorn was first introduced, regarding putting it back on the road, just tax it and the sorn is canceled instantly no other forms to fill in,cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts