Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, sorry about this as im sure your all sick of tyre questions, but im new to the africa twin thing.
ive been riding a gs for years and as such have tried lots of tyres so know what works for me, but have no idea on the @.
ive searched the forum tyre threads and have seen some good advice.
as ever it seems that no one tyre seems to meet with universal praise.
so here goes, ive bought a lovely 2003 rd07a for a trip im doing in june
about 7000 miles on mixed quality roads maybe some offroad,
what tyres will be up to the job?
on the gs ive tried tourances, anakees,pirelli scorpion, battlewings, distanzia and tkc.
of those the tourance and tkc are best for me but i dont think the tkc would last.
i used the scorpion on routa 40 while it was great it was shot in 4000 miles.
so if you were about to set of on a long ride what tyres would you be fitting?
cheers paul.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It is down to personal choice, but I would use Distanzia's , as you have used them in the past.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Annake 2 and stick with them so you get to feel and understand what they are capable of - I always believe that you ride fastest and safest when you know the capabilities of both your self and machine - changing tyres doesn't give you a chance to be in touch with what they can do. Well that's what I think anyhow ;-)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Annake 2 and stick with them so you get to feel and understand what they are capable of - I always believe that you ride fastest and safest when you know the capabilities of both your self and machine - changing tyres doesn't give you a chance to be in touch with what they can do. Well that's what I think anyhow ;-)
totally agree with you on that one. it took a while on the gs but now will only use tourance,distansia and tkc, just haven't got the time and money befor my trip for that learning curve on the @

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
I think the tkc won't last the distance on the rear. You would have to take a spare or purchase on route.
I would favour the anakee 2 for the trip- I managed around 10k on the varadero. As you say though everyone has a favourite.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
If your trip is mostly road or softroad (firetracks) then stick with road tyres like the Anakee or Tourance etc

If you do venture offroad, as Gary (AckAckFlack) said the TKCs won't last the distance but Heidenau K60 Enduro's will. The K60's are good both on and off road. If funds are tight MITAS do similar tyres to the main brands E07s and E08s

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
I'm finding the Anakee 2 to be very good so far, especially on wet roads it's nice and predictable.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
I'm finding the Anakee 2 to be very good so far, especially on wet roads it's nice and predictable.
I agree with this they ate good and last well as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts