Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Some Pictures from the journey after Cederberg.

Overnights at Nieuvoutwille, Garies, and Ai-Ais in Namibia. It is now red hot, 38 in the shade and we have taken to starting the day at dawn, or as soon as. We are now in Keetmanshoop in Central Namibia.

Gravel tracks have received a mixed reception from both of us. We had a route that had been recommended that involed 180+ miles of gravel road on South Africa to Springbok. After about 30 miles, and hour or so, soaring heat, and several patches of sand, bad corrogations, and with no towns or places en-route and us with no supplies, we decided discretion was needed and we headed back. Namibian gravel roads though are generally much better with 40-50mph easily done but the place is huge - we did over 150 miles today on gravel just to get back to a tarred road. Anne has had enough of the gravel so we are missing out part of the planned route and heading to Windhoek and then onto Etosha game reserve.

We have seen an African Wild Cat, which some SOuth Africans we were having drink with got very excited about. It looked like a cat, except, ummm, a bit wild. Also saw Ostriches crossing the road today (and some baby one's - aaah), some Sprinkbok, and some huge eagle like birds. We have been told the further north we go the more animals we will see - elephants, hippo's etc by the road, and SNAKES!!!! - keep the tent door shut.

Next update when we get on line next.

DSCF1140.jpg DSCF1143.jpg

·
Hill Rider
3,070 Posts
No wonder yer suffering the heat - you've got yer blooming leathers on :rolleyes:

Glad your both able to share this experience with us lesser mortals :D ;)

Keep yer lady happy and all will be well :thumbup:

Steve T

:cool:

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Yep,

As the wee man said " thanks for sharing "

You GIT :mad:

Nice one Austin, keep them photos coming :thumbup: Looks like you are having a great time,
good on ya :blob7:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
sorry about only two pics in that last post - the internet was slow and I got timed out.

Now in Windhoek at the Chameleon Backpackers lodge sleeping in what Anne describes as a tree house. Its lovely. The weather is a bit cooler now despite cossing the tropic of capricorn, and it was even cloudy earlier. The scenery has changed too - now like African savannah, which is exactly what it is. The desert was scary really, in places completley utterly totally barren, just rocks and sand and blistering heat.....in winter!!!! Temps exceed 50 in summer.

There's a guy called Jorgens here on an Africa Twin (RD04). He rode from Denmark to Johanessburg last year, left it in storage and is now on a tour of Nambia and South Africa before returning it to storage again. Nice bike, fully kitted for Africa with all the right stickers too. Other than him today we havent seen another biker since Cape Town. I expected to bump into a few but Namibia is a HUGE country with literally 10's of miles between road junctions, let a lone towns. Some place they signpost on route turn out to be a rail crossing or a collection of tin huts with a few goats about. It is a beautiful country though and everything is very clean and well ordered. Hardly anywhere takes credit cards though - not even petrol stations.

Will be investigating some safari trips tomorrow. Here's some more pics - bandwidth permitting...

As for leathers - well its what we have got and we thought they would be good protection from snakes. The weather is not supposed to be this hot either - the locals are complaining. Whatever you wore would have too hot. And as for riding at night - it is strongly, stongly advised against - animals come and graze at the side of the raod and even sleep on it as its warmer than the desert. A definite no-no in Africa.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I'm so glad you hare having a great time..

Keep those reports coming.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
MMM those leathers dont look as tight Galloway :)

looks amazing :joker: not al all green :toothy10:

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Great stuff Austin, keep them coming and stay safe. Same as what all the others say, I am not jealous either. :toothy10::toothy10:

Andy.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Quick update from my phone. After a day in Windhoek exploring options for visiting a game park we decided to book on a 4 day tour and leave the bikes at the hostel. The tour took us up to the Etosha game reserve for two days then across to Swakupmond, where we are now, then back to Windhoek. Here's a pic from the road to Windhoek and in Swakup and I will post some others from the game drive later when I have resized them.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
Wonderful stuff!

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
here's some pics drom the etosha game reserve in Namibia.

Attachments

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Kinell that lions giving you a ....come and have a go if you think your Ard enough :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: super pics Austin

21 - 40 of 72 Posts