Honda XRV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Dances with Drunks
220 Posts
Completely fantastic trip and photos. Green with envy. The Lion doesn't look too pleased to see you!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Fab report & pics there Austin, I can't imagine the snakes wanting to bite & swallow you & Ann, maybe the lion though.
I'm impressed with the wildlife pics, how close on the bikes were you to take the pics ?

Or are you using a mega digital zoom especially for Mr Lions pic.

Anyway glad to read your'e both having a wonderful time AND it's sunny too, no sign of any rain then, Raymo's had snow at his gaff & it's the middle of May !

Be safe & thanks for sharing

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Superb Austin:thumbright:great pics

And Anne you are doing great too :thumbup:

Your just mising the Rhino :D

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
right just a quick update before i try and resize some pics to put up.

We are now in Livingstone in Zambia - where the Victoria Falls are. This makes it about half way round the trip and its all Southbound from now. We did two longs days on the bikes from Windhoek, stopping at Grootfontein and Poppa Falls in the Caprivi. Grootfontein is where the Hobas Meteorite is - which I thought was a fabulous sight, even if it is only a big rock, it really does look like its come from outer space. Vader was there in the mid '90s and I can confirm what he said - its damn cold at night.ALong the road from Grootfontein the country really changes - literally as you cross the "vetinary fence" from large game reservers/estates and farms with large modern houses set back from the road to what you imagine africa to be like - small communities of mud and straw houses in a Kraal of sticks and rushes with long horn cattle, goats, and kids all over the place. Its been like that ever since.

The border crossing was insane on the Zambia side and seems to have cost me US$120 plus about NAM$800 for all the Visa and other bits of paper needed - in total £160 for the two of us and the two bikes. We are going to stay here for 2 or 3 nights before facing another insane crossing to Botswana. Hopfully cheaper though.

Accomodation wise all the campsites and lodges we have called in also do fancy tents or grass thathched huts for, well, more than the camping but still on the value side - about £30-£40 B&B for us both. So we could sleep with malaria ridden mozzies bothering us after putting the tent up in the heat or sleep on crisp linen behind a mozzie net with an en-suite, a verandah and comfy chairs for a sundowner or two. You can guess what we choose each time. This is a turning into a super lux tour and the credit card is taking a battering.

On the animals, all the pics so far were from a safari truck. No bikes are allowed in any of the game parks for the obvious reasons. The lion eating the Zebra was about 10 feet from the road, as as wwas the close elphant. The puff adder really got he guides excited so much so one droped his mobile from the cab but wouldnt get out to get it until the snake went away - so poisonous and unpredictable they are. We did however see elephants while riding along the Caprivi strip in NW Namibia - a troop of 4 - the leader of which started trumpeting and waving its head and ears at us - a precursor to a charge so we moved on a bit, and then one big lone male just ambled across the road about 200 yards in front of us. It was awesome.

Oh and Zambian currency is crazy - I just withdrew ZMK1,000,000.. About £160. Its a nightmare spending it and getting change.

Everything is going fine except I lost a credit crad (and got it back later) and someone tried to clone a debit card so thats cancelled. Fotuntaley we have fall back for both.

Pics later when I get time to edit and if internet air time lasts.

Its a fab trip and anyone could do it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
don't know why i've just spotted this thread, but top stuff, nice one Austin & Ann. Well done for planning it and getting off your rs's to do something most people just dream about.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
This is weird! I hadn't read your thread .... But this is exactly what I was looking at for me to do... But couldnt find a biking one ..... Think I'm going to research the website you've booked through. Hope you have a fantastic time! :sunny:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Fantastic Austin and Anne

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
elephants in the bush -about 40 yards away just after the warning signs from the leader.jpg elephants ahead.jpg Caprivi Village - mud huts and tin shacks.jpg mud hut, Caprivi, Namibia.jpg anne at poppa falls.jpg thatched hut at poppa falls - one of the more basic places we stayed.jpg opposite lunch - sheaves of grass for roofing.jpg roadside lunch.jpg Hobas Meteorite.jpg the nearest point to the equator on our trip.jpg about to give up on dune 7, walvis bay.jpg the nearest point to the equator on our trip -17 degrees south.jpg beware crocodiles.jpg the mighty zambezi from Caprivi river lodge.jpg caprivi river lodge.jpg Caprivi River Lodge camping in style.jpg

Some pics from the last few days.

Pics from Our trip down to Victoria Falls today to follow when I have done hthe camera /computer thing, but we got as soaked as if we had been swimming in the river after unwisely declining the rental of a waterproof poncho. We also saw our first Hippo - which also seemed to get the locls very excited as it was so close to the edge of the falls it would inevitably be going over.

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
Wow! Hats off to you both. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Wow
Nice pics guys. Poppa falls seems to have poshed up a bit since I been there. Also the big rock ( actually the worlds biggest iron meteorite ) seems to have changed his surroundings a bit. Is the road through the Caprivi strip now tarred?? I had 400 km of washboard and dust
These pics bring back a lot of cool memories. Thanks guys :thumbup:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Wow
Nice pics guys. Poppa falls seems to have poshed up a bit since I been there. Also the big rock ( actually the worlds biggest iron meteorite ) seems to have changed his surroundings a bit. Is the road through the Caprivi strip now tarred?? I had 400 km of washboard and dust
These pics bring back a lot of cool memories. Thanks guys :thumbup:
Poppa falls - a dusty one horse town with a fancy new bridge over the Okavango river and lots of fancy safari lodges. We stayed at the Namibian National Parks authority campsite. The "hut" was NAM$500 for b&b for a 2 bedroom en- suite bungalow (about£40).

Caprivi strip is now tarred all the way. The old road is still there but is "D" status which means limited maintenance and lots of sand and gravel. 400km of that by bike would be a hot, dusty and long ordeal.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Short update before I post some pics later.

We are now on the east (Indian ocean) coast of South Africa having spent a week or so to cross Botswana with a few days in the Okavango delta and travel through South Africa to the coast. We are going to stay where we are for 4-5 days then travel over to Cape Town to return the bikes this time next week :(

Highlights of the past week or so:

The insane Zambia border crossing at Kazungula and the rickety ferry to cross the Zambezi river. The ferry looks like it shouldn't even float but takes one huge lorry at a time plus a car (and 2 motorbikes).

Botswana is HUUUUUGE with NOTHING in between a few small towns - including fuel stations, (more accurately, a few fuel stations but which don't have any fuel). We had to do 250km at 80kph to eke out the fuel on one leg but did discover these XT660s can do over 30km per litre or over 80mpg :). It was a long day.

Okavango delta is an amazing place. We had an overnight wild camp/safari on an island in the delta. We were taken in by speed boat and then in a Mokoro - a dug out canoe propelled by poler (like punting) - to the camp. This involved 2 other Mokoros, a cook, a guide, another poler, and a 4th helper to bring tents and supplies. All just for me and Anne. Water came from the river and Cooking was on an open fire, but served on a table with table cloth, napkins, wine, and all the usual formalities and etiquette. It was brill. At night we were warned to expect to hear wild animals in the camp with the real possibility of elephants which were on the island. In the end we didnt hear much but the guides reckoned a Hyena was in the camp at night and we could hear hippos about 50 metres away calling and splashing about.

The cold in central South Africa. We saw a weather forecast saying down to minus 8c in places. I don't think we got that but it was bloody cold at night yet about 25c in the afternoon.

Jeffries Bay where we are now is a surf mecca and we have spent the afternoon watching some skilled surfing at a spot called supertubes. Huge curling waves it good to watch.

We have stayed at some super places - The old bridge backpackers in Maun, Botswana; and at a campsite at Lake Gariep in South Africa where each pitch has its own ablution block - toilet, shower AND bath, and a small kitchen. An en- suite camping pitch. It's brill, and now the Zen guest house in Jeffries bay, with a view over the bay, the waves, and dolphins.

I will edit some pictures and post up later, but the wifi is slow and limited so bear with me.

Finally the weather has broken. After four and a half weeks of unbroken clear sky it rained last night and everyone keeps saying we are in for 3-4 days of bad weather. Still, it should make for good surf.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
A few pics from the last few days....

Kazungula ferry - Zambia to Botswana border crossing the Zambezi River

kazungula ferry, Zambia to Botswana border crossing.jpg
Slumming it a the Old Bridge Backpackers in Maun, Botswana

slumming it at the old bridge backpackers, Maun Botswana.jpg
Mokoros being poled through a channel in the delta
mokoros being poled on the way to a wild camp in the Okavango delta.jpg
Dinner

dinner wild camping in the Okavango delta.jpg

Remains of a water buffalo

remains of a water buffalo allegedly killed by lion recentlyish Okavnago delta.jpg

More Zebra
zebra everywhere in africa - safari on foot in the Okavango delta.jpg

Wildbeest on the run

herds of wildebeest in the Okavango delta.jpg

Brunch
brunch after a foot safari in the Okavango delta.jpg

mud hut Boro village Okavango delta.jpg

The Big Hole, Kimberley
the big hole Kimberley South Africa  Dug by hand 100 years ago for diamonds  About 300metres dee.jpg
En suite camping pitch

our en suite camping pitch Lake Gariep South Africa.jpg

The view from our suite of rooms, jeffries bay

the view from our suite of rooms Jeffries Bay.  Cost os ZAR450 - about £35 per night.jpg

41 - 60 of 72 Posts