Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most likely ill be in Southampton in August for about a week (Hythe specifically) on the bike, and im looking for suggestions on must see places to visit, picture oppurtunities, roads to ride, roads to avoid etc.

All suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
A32 north from Fareham, almost anywhere along the A272 (east-west along the downs) but watch out for cameras. Early morning best, gets busy. Avoid A27 east of Chichester like the plague. More pubs in the backwoods than you can shake a stick at, a week is not enough. Beaulieu (sp?) might be worth a visit, Old Portsmouth if you're into history (although much has been built over).

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Take a stroll arount the city walls, Start at the south side of the Bargate, next to Bar Risa. This is the landward entrance to the old town

·
Registered
129 Posts
Most likely ill be in Southampton in August for about a week (Hythe specifically) on the bike, and im looking for suggestions on must see places to visit, picture oppurtunities, roads to ride, roads to avoid etc.

All suggestions appreciated.
Hi Chris. Well I live in Hythe and from here you can travel easily all around the New Forest and it is a fairly short ride to get up to Salisbury Plain, there are plenty of tracks/roads to ride around, just need to steer clear of the MOD flagged areas and avoid the big Tanks?

From Hythe you can pop down the road to Calshot (Activity Centre) and beach and you look up/down and across the Solent to the Isle of Wight, Beaulieu is down the road with its Motor Museum (They have the James Bond Exhibition on this year). Lymington is also very close and is a nice picturesque town. You can pop down to Portsmouth with HMS Victory and Old Portsmouth to look around along with Gun Wharf and the Spinnaker Tower. The list could go on!

August is Grockle season, so there will be plenty of traffic about, but being on the bike will make that not too much to worry about!

There are Pubs all over the Forest and most are good for food etc

If I am about I would be happy to meet up for a drink?

Any questions just give me a shout?

Cheers

Malcolm

Reactions: Wigan Chris

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Chris you could go and go up the spiniker tower and try and wangle one of Jonathan (stormforce)'s magnificent coffee's, and he could perswade you to part with cash for the latest rugged roads @ bits:-D:-D

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Chris - give me a call closer to the time when you're due down - you have a PM :thumbup:

·
Chief Lurker
436 Posts
All the roads in the new forest have a 40mph limit, but if you want a bimble - Cadnam to Fordingbridge, to Salisbury, to Hythe is pleasant enough way to kill an hour or so. As digi says the old city walls in Southampton is an interesting walk - The Juniper Berry pub is probably where Digi had a pint! Lymington is nice - if money and boats are of interest. Make sure you know what time the last ferry leaves from Southampton to Hythe - quite a few end up sleeping on the town quay! The nightlife is north of the Bargate (the old town gate). Lepe beach or Lymington for bird watching! Red Funnel run from Southampton to the Isle of Wight - so you can see what the 1950's were like! WATCH OUT FOR NEW FOREST PONIES - loads are hit by vehicles every year, and make a mess of the vehicles and the ponies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts