Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry this is a rather belated report but my old computer just couldn't cope with photo's. Anyway........

I was on my Vara and Mrs Austin on her TA700. The basic route was Plymouth - Santander - mid Spain - South Spain - Morocco (and back) and spend nearly all of October doing it. No camping. In the end we did nearly 4,500miles with the trip starting on 2nd October and finishing late on 28th October. We spent just over 2 weeks in Morocco with a couple of days in Spain going south and a week in Spain going North(ish).

Before this trip the most Mrs A had gone on her TA was about 250miles to Dorset. Maximum respect as she did it all (apart from one river crossing) without complaint, drama or incident. Top bird:thumbleft:

Anyway a few photos of the highlights.

Chefchaouen - a lovely place for first night in Morocco...

Azrou....another very nice place

River crossing, Ziz Gorge. We just stopped for a paddle and cool down really

Hotel in Erfoud. A dust storm had raged over night and left dust and sand everywhere - the bikes were covered and the floor in our room was like a beach. The bit on the right is a well and the water supply for the hotel.

Mrs Austin on the road from Erfoud

poser...

One of several Hotels/Auberges we stayed at just coz they looked Ok and were actually bloody marvellous and cheap too

Todra Gorge

Another random Auberge, this time in the Dades valley - no mains electricity though

Steep gorges looking for the Valley of the Roses

Anne doesn't like heights or steep drop offs - we went over Tizi n'Test pass a few days later....

Snow Capped Atlas Mountains

Kasbah Baha Baha - like paradise...

N'Kob

Zagora

more to follow....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Sorted Austin and Anne:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
more....

at the start of Tizi n'Test pass. It is aptly named and is awesome.

Village up the Tizi - note the satellite dishes

Hotel Chez Momo in the High Atlas. The most expensive place we stayed in Morocco at 800Dh (about £70) half board. The room was a little bungalow in the grounds. Very nice apart from the other snooty english people there who couldn't bring themselves to talk to a couple of bikers.

River crossing in the High Atlas. 3 channels, the last (nearest) being about 1 foot deep with a base of rounded cobbles and a steepish loose exit.

Essaouira - I wouldn't bother again

Oualidia - on the coast about 5 hours from Tangiers and another very very nice place, totally unexpected and another random stop over for us. We stayed in a hotel run by a gorgeous french woman who I could have llooked at and listen to for hours. She spoke english with an incredibly sexy french accent thaty made eveything sound like she was whipering it in your ear:p

and that was it. Next stop Spain, but not after discovering our ferry was not running for 10 days for technical reasons and we had to get to Tangiers main port. This was after we had changed all our money back to euros and about 1 minute before the police would have checked us out the country. All was well in the end but Tangiers port is a nightmare.

Spain, was.....well, very spanish, really really nice, but freezing cold in the middle bits. We found some nice hotels, had loads of food and made up for an alcohol free fortnightin Morocco and really really really recommend the Hotel Recolotos Coco in Salamanca - we stayed there travelling both ways. Sadly took few photos and they are all boring.

Full set of snaps here

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Brilliant report, Austin, and really impressesd with Anne's achievement. What a fab example to set for the rest of us! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::cool:.

Hope you get to do many other such trips :).

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Looks like a fantastic trip. Just shown the wife the pics and she thinks so too:rolleyes: I guess August would be unbearably hot. What was the temp in October?

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
Great pics, and what a great example to us all from Mrs Austin! :thumbright:

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Couple of other highlights, well one lowlight first.... we got stopped by the police 3 times, including once each on the first 2 days. Apparently a new highway code was introduced from 1st October with new on the spot fines and stricter enforcement all round. The first 2 times were both for clipping a solid White line. I think I as was just unlucky in part as both times were after following a line of cars stuck behind a lorry for ages, just when I decided to go for an overtake I rode straight into a police roadblock. The first time they gave up asking for a fixed penalty after about a minute but the second time they pocketed our documents and wanted 700Dh each (about £65). After much protest in my limited French they settled on doing me only for 700Dh. Even though i would swear I hadn't clipped the line I settled for this. It put a damper on the next few days in the mid Atlas as there seemed to police everywhere and speed cameras. There seem to be new sped limits too - 80kph even on open desert or mountain roads. The 3rd stop was just a routine passport and licence check from a friendly and bored copper in the middle of bloody nowhere.

Kasbah Baha Baha in N'kob (pictured) is brilliant and well worth stopping at. Behind the walled garden is a true paradise garden. Roses alongside the fruit and veg you get for dinner, berber style tents for relaxing in, eating in, and if you want to camp in. Rooms were 370Dh per night for a big 2 roomed suite. They only have a couple of en suite rooms but the campsite style toilet and shower block were scrupulously clean with a cleaner on duty pretty much 24*7. Food was ok and reasonably priced. There's not much else in N'kob though.

When we went up the todra gorge we went right to the top aiming to investigate if the pistes were passable to the north. As we got up there some huge black clouds loomed along with very strong cold winds. So strong to make riding difficult. As it began raining we decided to turn round as back down the valley was still in sunshine. We were glad we did as later we met a Swiss couple who had been up there in Toyota land cruiser. They said it snowed about 6" was below freezing and even the good pistes had been difficult in their 4*4. The next day the mountains were snowcapped and he rivers were rising fast and full of chocolate brown water.

We stayed at the Auberge Souktana in Talouline. The guides rave about this place although initially we were disappointed with a very basic and small room. Nevertheless we booked dinner but were a bit disconcerted to see the young guy who booked us in in the open kitchen with a group of mates all stoned out their minds while cooking. Anyway at 7.30 our tagine was duly served and was without doubt the best we had in Morocco. The best way to describe these fellas is as Rastafarian, Tuareg stoned hippies. He giggled and grinned everytime he came near us and wa playing some rather good music from what he said was the best rasta band in Mali. It was a real experience and I really enjoyed it.

Oh, weather in October is just right. Mid 20s which is great for riding in but a little hot for walking about in bike gear at midday. In the mountains it was cool in the middle of the night(extra blanket cool) but fine in the evening.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Fab report, Austin. If you went all the way over to Zagora and to Essouaria that's some mileage in just two weeks or so! I'm envious.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Awesome Austin. Makes me want to go back.....Hudders?.......

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Stunning. Just stunning. I m jealous. Will show TGLW this. Yu never know, maybe she'd consider getting her licence.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Excellent report , really cheered me up (had a crappy day at a shipyard in Singapore!!)
Would you mind if I sent you a few pm's asking silly questions in the next month or two , as I'm toying with the idea of changing Wifey and I's French Trip to a North African one.

Again great report, inspiration to us.

:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Excellent report , really cheered me up (had a crappy day at a shipyard in Singapore!!)
Would you mind if I sent you a few pm's asking silly questions in the next month or two , as I'm toying with the idea of changing Wifey and I's French Trip to a North African one.

Again great report, inspiration to us.

:thumbup:
No problem :thumbright:

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
Cracking report Austin......drooling over the scenery.:thumbright:.

Unbeliveable effort by Anne...mega credit...bloomin nice bike as well.

Well done you two.:D:D:D.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts