Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trusty Transalp has just delivered me safely, and comfortably, to my Spanish home in Tarragona, an hour south of Barcelona. 1194 km (742 miles) in just over 12 hours.

I took the ferry last night from Portsmouth to St Malo, the intention being to get a good nights sleep as the crossing is 11 hours. Well, that was fine until I met up with some of the other bikers on board, and we ended up propping up the bar until it closed at 1am this morning...

We arrived at 8:30am and I was on the dual carriageway south within 15 minutes. I had intended to stop overnight in the French pyrenees but I made such good progress south (my route - Nantes, Niort, Bordeaux, Toulouse, Foix, Barcelona) that as I filled up south of Toulouse at 4:30pm I decided if I could make it over the pyrenees in daylight I would keep going. Which I did.

I had thought about going around the Pyrenees on the Mediterranean side, as per Google Maps advice, but instead opted to take the N20 straight across from Toulouse, crossing the border into Spain just East of Andorra.

I am glad I did, the roads were lovely, a tad cold (there was snow not that far above me on the mountains) but empty and I had great fun at my own pace.

The main point I would like to share: 750 miles on the Transalp can be done in a day and apart from a slightly numb bum I am no worse for it. I only stopped when I needed to fill up, which was at paige speed was every hour and a half, and I then had a 20 minutes and a coffee. There is a definite satisfaction in achieving the above and I will probably do it again rather than camp. Won't need to carry the tent then!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Respect. Thats some ride. Glad to hear that it was enjoyable

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You, my friend, have a different interpretation of "travelling light" then I do.
Well, if you take off all the shopping I was carrying for the wife, I only had a lightweight tent and toothbrush!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts