Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess many of you will soon or already have a spam email (thinly disguised as a newsletter) form our absent landlords in Canada. This has links to articles on Motorcycle.com (also owned by VS) and some links back to topics on the forums here.

I'd just like it to go on record as saying that none of the local mod and admin team knew anything of this and we weren't consulted in any way nor did we give any indication that you would like your email spammed. The first I knew of it was when the mail arrived in my inbox.

Just another example of how our new owners operate and the total contempt Vertical Scope has for the community it is slowly destroying.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Hmmmmm. Not so good, especially as there is an attempt to recruit new Mods and this arrives.

In the greater scheme of things, not appalling, but still unsolicited and will be treated as Spam here.... As I have a mail program that specifically reads text only, it means it's all a load of nonsense until I decode the HTML in it :)

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
I think you are being a bit sensitive about the spam thing, but the content is absurd. You would think both VS and their sponsors would get a hint from the web address being .org.uk that it is a UK based community and that writing to us about USA based products or services is risible.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
got a newsletter from VS via a Goldwing site I used to visit when I had a GL1000 a few years ago.
Are they sending them to everybody that has signed up to any of the sites they now own?

·
Administrator
1,778 Posts
I think you are being a bit sensitive about the spam thing, but the content is absurd. You would think both VS and their sponsors would get a hint from the web address being .org.uk that it is a UK based community and that writing to us about USA based products or services is risible.
But one of the article is a link to Whealie's current fuse problem..
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/africa...html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=1#post937842
Whealie's none too pleased that his thread's been hi-jacked ..... and it really doesn't do VSs image any good that they're adopting these rather underhanded tactics !

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Spam 13,500 members to log on and take a look at a couple of randomly chosen threads and your site traffic count is up with very little effort innit ?

I'm no net nerd,that's just the way I see it.

I started a thread a couple of months back, that's now had 30 odd thousand hits, where's my ****n' bonus cheque then ? :D:D:D

( These days,I only post for laughs and to amuse myself :))

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
But one of the article is a link to Whealie's current fuse problem..
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/africa...html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=1#post937842
Whealie's none too pleased that his thread's been hi-jacked ..... and it really doesn't do VSs image any good that they're adopting these rather underhanded tactics !
I am pretty sure we signed away our rights to the content we post when we registered with the site back in the good old days. Content used to belong to Dave Slater, then Rugged Roads, then someone else (was it back to Dave?), now its VS. They run a business and with our content as one of the major assets. I know it galling, but they are only exploiting those assets and trying to drum up more users. More users = more content as well as more interest from sponsors. But, I stick to my point though: sending a largely UK based stuff an email about USA based products and services does show a complete misunderstanding of the us the users and the nature of the site.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
very sensible comment.......IMHO.....

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
..You would think both VS and their sponsors would get a hint from the web address being .org.uk that it is a UK based community and that writing to us about USA based products or services is risible.
Isn't that what makes it spam, or junk mail? Some email automatically fired off without any thought about how it's content applies to the recipient.

I do see your point though. If I had invested money in something I thought I should be making more money out of, I'd try new things to drum up revenue. There's no point investing in "communites" though, if you aren't going to be part of the community!

:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the Oxford English Dictionary defines spam as....

Irrelevant or unsolicited messages sent over the Internet, typically to large numbers of users, for the purposes of advertising, phishing, spreading malware, etc.

I reckon the newsletter falls into the first of these categories

"Spam.... Bloody Vikings"

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
471 Posts
Well, I've received the 'newsletter' and can't see any problem....it's no big deal, at least not to me. Agreed, the content is largely not relevant to the UK but I quite enjoyed quickly surfing through the 10 best value (US) bikes. Would I mind getting another 'newsltter'? Not in the least. Although I have no clue about the ins & outs involving the new owner, I have to say I still find the site excellent for all things @.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts