Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have just been offered some spare parts from an @ for next to nothing.
I was ok with it until I discovered that the parts are from a bike that has been dry stored for about ten years in a commercial garage.The bike belonged to an overseas tourist who came off at a bend and unfortunately died at the scene.
The bike has been stored in this garage just near the scene of the accident and I think is complete with obvious frontal damage.

I'm not so sure now -- would you guys buy the bits knowing that it's a dead mans bike ??:confused:

I know that parts I may have bought in the past ( off e bay etc ) could possibly be off a fatal, but actually knowing the circumstances and severity of the accident has left me a little unsure.

What do you think ???
Am I getting too paranoid or supersticious about it ?

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
sounds a bit superstitious to me, which is ok if you are superstitious but im not. as long as the part is ok, i see no problem

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
If you know exactly what happened and it had anything to do with parts that might be passed on as safe and you know they may not be then I say fore warned is fore armed.
Apart frorm that as a twin owner he would probably want the bike to live on and so let it live on be it parts form.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
When my father (a vicar) used to take funerals the families often asked him to find good homes for things that were valued by the deceased. It helps the family to grieve and it makes the death less absolute.

No biker or biker's family would want the bike to come to an end before its time. Take the parts, use them and know that whenever you ride you're not the only one who's enjoying it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
would you guys buy the bits knowing that it's a dead mans bike ??:confused:
Well he's not going to be using it so it's not really a problem. People use all sorts of bits from donors like heart/lungs/kidneys/bones etc. Using bits of a bike is not really a dilemma. If it is a problem for the ex-owner, he'll come back and haunt you ;)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
How else is the bike going to be resurrected. It could be repaired and someone else could ride it, or it could be stripped and parts go to other needy riders.
Personally I would rather the latter, More people benefit and NO one person is riding a death machine.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for replies guys,

Going to phone the guy tomorrow and have a look.
I think the bike has been scrapped and that all that remains is from the engine backwards, the frame being u/s, so all that is left is bits and not a complete bike.
The poor guy was a wrongsider, happens a lot up here - roads are pretty quite and he obviously had a lapse of concentration, thought he was back home and hit a car head on at a bend.

Yes I guess I am a little superstitious ( must be the Teuchter in me :D:D )

Constructive comments by the way :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
On a more practical note, if you buy from a breaker's yard (a reputable one that isn't selling nicked kit) a lot of bikes are write-offs and such accidents may have resulted in fatalities.

Perhaps if you think of it in those terms, you can use this bike instead of letting it go to waste.

·
Xi dwejjaq member
922 Posts
'Wrongsider'

So easy, that one moment of forgetfulness.
A lesson for us all.

I'd feel uneasy about utilizing the bits from a Deadman's Bike too, then rationalize that I'd want what's left of mine to live on after I do, too.

Sure that That is what He would have wanted.

·
Hill Rider
3,098 Posts
Good words from everyone else, so I'll just say

"Go get it" (or get it delivered :thumbup:)

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Take the parts, use them and know that whenever you ride you're not the only one who's enjoying it. :thumbup:
thats a good point, im not religious or whatever but the guy could be looking down on you saying 'go on son, give it the berries...' or whatever passes for the sentiment in whatever language he spoke

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
If it were you, would you want your precious bike to rot and rust away or would you want it to go to people who you knew would make good use of the parts.

I'd rather my bike be used by decent bikers than be left to rot.

I can see where you are coming from but personally i think it's ok to buy it.
Hmmm decent biker you say? Not lowflyer then :)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Re: 'Wrongsider'

a bit like organs donors....if it were my bike I would want it to go on living somehow, why should she die when I do..?
MHO....

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Well I'd like to think there are bits of my brothers old Honda still doing the rounds. It was 33 years ago though so I bet most it will have rusted away by now.

Not sure my mum would agree though...

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
If it were you, would you want your precious bike to rot and rust away or would you want it to go to people who you knew would make good use of the parts.

I'd rather my bike be used by decent bikers than be left to rot.

I can see where you are coming from but personally i think it's ok to buy it.
I'm with Craig

John, if you think it through it's only like carrying a donor card - your family would want to know some of you can be recycled and provide a better life for the recipients

Why should it be any different for bike parts

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I'm with Craig

John, if you think it through it's only like carrying a donor card - your family would want to know some of you can be recycled and provide a better life for the recipients

Why should it be any different for bike parts
We are all asked to do our bit for the environment, we recycle glass, paper, tins and put food in compost heaps to rot.
Therefore what is the difference with bike spares?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts