Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a couple of general questions about spark plugs if anybody can help it would be appreciated

I recently purchased 2 x NGK DPR8EA-9 and noticed that they arrived without threaded terminal nuts? I have since removed one my bikes spark plugs and found that it too did not have the threaded nut fitted and the thread is slightly bent? The removed plug is also quite badly soiled in a dry black coating. I have checked the Haines manual which indicates a over rich fuel/air mixture or faulty choke which i will get investigated and rectified.

Firstly, is the missing threaded nut normal for new spark plugs? Would fitting the plug without the nut damage the engine or contribute towards poor performance and the black residue on the plug? Also, do new spark plugs come with the correct gap ready for installation or do you need to adjust the side electrode prior to fitting?

Sorry to bombard with the questions.

Thanks for any advice

Regards

Lee

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I recently purchased 2 x NGK DPR8EA-9 and noticed that they arrived without threaded terminal nuts?
You need 4 plugs for a Transalp. They don't need the bolt-on bit and don't come with them. Gapping is usually correct but I check them before putting them in anyway.

The removed plug is also quite badly soiled in a dry black coating. I have checked the Haines manual which indicates a over rich fuel/air mixture or faulty choke which i will get investigated and rectified.
The colour can tend to be a bit on the black side if the bike has been ridden gently around town and hasn't been given a good handful for a while. They do tend to run a bit rich as standard anyway. Take it for a good fast run and then do a plug chop. Do a search for plug chop as I'm sure someone posted a full explanation a while back. If it's still black when you do a plug chop then, yes, old air filter or maybe sticky choke.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Dave and Kymmy, you must ban AlanH immediately.
He has just Plagiarised my answer from the other thread.
He just can't think for himself!:D:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts