Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a couple of general questions about spark plugs if anybody can help it would be appreciated

I recently purchased 2 x NGK DPR8EA-9 and noticed that they arrived without threaded terminal nuts? I have since removed one my bikes spark plugs and found that it too did not have the threaded nut fitted and the thread is slightly bent? The removed plug is also quite badly soiled in a dry black coating. I have checked the Haines manual which indicates a over rich fuel/air mixture or faulty choke which i will get investigated and rectified.

Firstly, is the missing threaded nut normal for new spark plugs? Would fitting the plug without the nut damage the engine or contribute towards poor performance and the black residue on the plug? Also, do new spark plugs come with the correct gap ready for installation or do you need to adjust the side electrode prior to fitting?

Sorry to bombard with the questions.

Thanks for any advice

Regards

Lee

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Don't forget some Transalps, if not all, have four plugs.
If you've ridden your bike slowly and left it running before turning off, your plugs will be more sooty.
To test and not the easiest on a Trannie, go for a ride on a quiet road, cruising at at least 30 40.
Increase your throttle to 100% travel a little further, then immediately, shut the throttle, pull in the clutch and turn the engine off.
Coast to a stop and check the condition of the plug then. Re post if still an issue; this is called a plug chop.
Can't remember on my Trannie, but lots of bikes don't use the threaded adapter. Yo'll know if yours doesn't, because the cap will not go on with adapter in place.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
If it is a 700 it only has two plugs.

·
Aussie Fun Rider
10 Posts
Hi Lee,
The NGK DPR8EA-9 plug doesn't come with nut/sleeve and this is the same I believe for all DPR-EA range. The plug cap wouldn't fit if a nut/sleeve was on the plug.
Also as John mentioned your Tranny also has 4 x NGK DPR8EA-9 plugs.
I had a similar problem with sooting up plugs and I found that a choke piston (end of choke cable) had partially jammed in one of the carbies.

Ausalper

1 - 8 of 8 Posts