Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have recently acquired a XL600VJ 1988 on which I knew the speedo was not reading. On investigation I found that the cable had snapped, so thinking that was it; I duly fitted a replacement item only to find that it still did not function. I knew the drive gear box was ok having checked it when I had the front wheel off to replace the brake disc. I turned my attention to the speedometer and tested it using an electric drill running clockwise the same as the drive unit and no reading. I switched the drill to rotate counter clockwise and the speedometer functioned perfectly.
So can anyone tell which is the correct rotation direction for this model as I obviously have one part that is not correct although both items look to be genuine. Is it possible to change the plastic gear to get the correct rotation?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link but nothing there that helps. Ideally I need a kind soul with the same model to disconnect their speedo cable at the wheel and check the rotation of the drive. Clockwise or Anti- clockwise?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
does this help?

this is an africa twin, but i imagine its the same

it looks like you rotate the cable anti-clockwise (as you look at the rear of the speedo) in order to make the speedo work

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the Video clips. As I posted ,my speedo requires anti clockwise rotation but my cable drive off the wheel is clockwise. The video you included of the 1996 Transalp 600 clearly shows clockwise rotation at the drive but it also has a different type of Speedometer which was shown working. So I am thinking the earlier models had anti clockwise rotation but need to find this out and if correct, locate a drive gear box for the wheel which gives anti clockwise rotation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately the plastic drive gear can't be reversed. I have put a request out to some breakers yards to see if one has a drive hub from 1988 XL600VJ that can be checked for output rotation. Here's hoping.

·
Premium Member
1987 Honda Transalp
1 Posts
Hi There. Just put a new speedo gear in my 1987 VH and it runs clockwise when facing forward; so using your drill on the cable it would run counterclockwise. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts