Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 XRV750
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
First post about my one week old (to me) xrv.
I bought the bike without a working speedo. After opening up the speedo drive, the nylon gear and retainer plate both seem to be fine. However, further investigation led to finding no washers sitting behind the nylon drive. Part number 44809-ml7-03. I'm in South Africa, so parts are rare if nonexistent here. I'm planning on simply turning up some new washers on a lathe, but would like some input as to the dimensions (primarily, thickness) and material (presumably brass?) of these washers. Can anyone lend a hand?

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looks like the inside of my '03 650 Transalp which has no washers from memory. Work out which way the nylon gear pushes the worm drive.
On mine it's mounted on the left side and pushes down. The bush under the worm gear wore out at about 117.000km (9 years ago) and the nylon gear got chewed out when it stopped turning. I bought the replacement gear then thought about why it got damaged before fitting it. I had to push the worm into the bottom off the housing while turning it to feel that it was seized, without that it seemed to turn freely.
The fix I used was PTFE (teflon) thread tape between the worm and the bottom of the housing.
If the nylon gear has a groove in the teeth that is from the worm gear. It's hard to tell in your pic.
I hope that helps.

·
Registered
2000 XRV750
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a look. The XRV had it mounted on the right, pushing the worm gear up. It doesn't feel like the gear is seized at all. I did put a 2mm thick teflon washer inbetween the nylon gear and housing, which worked perfectly for about 20km. Having taken off the wheel again, I see the washer has eaten into the nylon gear a bit. So that idea is a no go.

The parts drawing has two metal washers between the housing and the nylon gear. I assume its so that the wear happens on the washers themselves. Guess I'll wait the couple of weeks for parts to ship in :confused:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts