Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a new speedo gearbox from David Silver in 2011. Since then the plastic drive has been chewed up three times. That equates to £60 for the gearbox + 3 x £20 for plastic gears. I'm not spending more money on that nonsense.

What are some good, simple and robust replacements? A complete unit which supports speed, odo, rpm, and instrument lights (oil, neutral, sidestand, signal, high beam, temperature) could be interesting too, but a simple speedo+odo will do just fine.

I already know of:
  • Koso
  • Acewell
  • Trailtech

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
I know Koso do a digital contact for the speedo gearing. others use a reed magnet switch

I have a magnet switch fitted for the chain lube ProOiler I've fitted that to the back wheel in the plastic guard under the rear brake.

I've seen plaenty of bikes with the mini speedos designed for push-bikes too.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I don't understand why your speedo drive keep getting chewed up, it's such a basic design.

Are you sure you're cleaning all the dried crusty grease off of the pinion that the plastic gear turns on? Does the cable turn freely and is greased well?

:(

·
Registered
450 Posts
Are you routing the cable without too many bends.
I agree its such a simple design its hard to understand how it can repeatedly go wrong.
When they chew up, you get some 'minute' particles inside the unit and unless their all removed!!
I used an almost full tin of brake cleaning fluid to get all the tiny particles out of the casing. This plastic is very hard and even the smallest piece will I'm sure cause problems.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Check for worn shims in the housing

If there's float then the plastic gear can get ground away again

·
Registered
755 Posts
Check for worn shims in the housing

If there's float then the plastic gear can get ground away again
+1 on this!

The plastic gear on mine when I inherited it had the teeth worn 'just' enough to not work, and there weren't ANY shims in the housing!

I re-checked the assembly after 500-odd miles and all still looks fine since refitting everything as it should have been :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
In case you do want to change it, I can recommend the Trailtech Vapor...

·
Registered
120 Posts
this is a common fault with these so what i did was drill and fit 2 tiny screws so they fit nicely into the speed hub i will try and put photos on to show you what i mean......this has worked for me and has lasted years ...put in plenty grease and it has no option but to spin round cos the screws have a nice hold..hope it helps and hope the photos come on... IMGP1312.jpg IMGP1324.jpg IMGP1326.jpg IMGP1327.jpg IMGP1328.jpg IMGP1319.jpg

also dont forget to grind the screw heads off so it just leaves the 2 pins.......plenty other tips if you need them thanks kevsky

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+1 on this!

The plastic gear on mine when I inherited it had the teeth worn 'just' enough to not work, and there weren't ANY shims in the housing!

I re-checked the assembly after 500-odd miles and all still looks fine since refitting everything as it should have been :)
Hi guys!

Thanks for the feedback. The shims are quite fine. What seems to be happening is that the brass gear in the housing is grinding into the housing and slowly getting out of alignment and rotating with increasing friction. I have used lithium grease with molybdenum exclusively and have cleaned and repacked the gear every year.

The speedo wire is properly routed and seems to rotate freely, but hard to tell how it acts at high speed. I'm not really interested in fleshing out megabux++ for a new housing and a new speedo wire though, seeing how unreliable this whole setup is.

@kevsky: No way am I putting any metal bits in there! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts