Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, every one ,:confused:
I have a 08 700 transalp with abs, I have found that the speedo reading when conpared with the sat nav speed reading is way out,
It show 33mph when sat nav shows 29 and the faster I go the more out it gets, at 70 mph on the sat nav the speedo is showing 80 mph,
any other 700 owners have this problem,
Thaks,
Ian.

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
I have a TA 650 , but have noticed similar on my speedo . Guessing that they design the speedos to read under true speed.

60 on GPS = 64 on clocks.
30 on GPS = 32 on clocks.

:thumbright:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Too busy keeping my eye on the road, but from the glances I've taken mine is a fairly consistent ~10% error. I'd be surprised if it was a variable percentage. It's not just the TA that has this, most vehicles I've compared the in built speedo overstates the true speed. Dunno why it's just what manufacturers do. With all the speed cameras about its possibly a good thing?

You could try the SpeedoHealer if it annoys you enough and you aren't happy compensating with some quick maths...

HealTech Electronics Ltd. - Makers of the SpeedoHealer, GIpro, X-TRE, OBD Tool

Let us know if you do, I was tempted myself at one point

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
I am guessing that the manufacturers do not want to indicate true speed , just in case in over a bit , then they could be liable in court .. over speeding tickets etc ..

:hitler:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Manufactures will make the speedo read high normally up to 10% from new.
This allows for the changes in rolling radius from new tryes and old worn tyres and keeps you within the law with a slight margin.
The Sat Nav will always give a lower speed indication as it takes reading from your speed via satallite data.
You also have to be careful with the Sat Nav as this is not always 100% accurate it depends on Satallite spacing and if you are on the flat or on a hill.

·
Registered
130 Posts
for what it is worth.
my daily journey on TA700 was 20 miles, this was a (very nearly) 200 mile a week.
I now have new Gladius 650 and while I get a feel for range (no fuel guage), I realise that my journey has shrunk to just over 18 miles each way.
So changing the bike has made my journey shorter :p

SMcG
2 miles in 20 is 10% !!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've found that all but one of the cars I've checked by GPS read wrong too. the only one that was correct was the Lada Niva I had for a while. It was bang on with the GPS over it's whole range.

Useless fact but true. :p

·
Registered
417 Posts
There has been a EU directive in force since 1992 wherebye vehicle speedos are not allowed to under read but they can over read up to 10% hence the allowance for speed scameras.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hi, every one ,:confused:
I have a 08 700 transalp with abs, I have found that the speedo reading when conpared with the sat nav speed reading is way out,
It show 33mph when sat nav shows 29 and the faster I go the more out it gets, at 70 mph on the sat nav the speedo is showing 80 mph,
any other 700 owners have this problem,
Thaks,
Ian.
They all do that my varadero over-reads all the way through by 5mph, ironically the most accurate one i have is th etrailtech on my XR that is bang on wit the GPS you calibrate it to your wheel size. As for the speedo accuracy the rules must have changed as it used to be + or - 6% for accuracy

·
Registered
533 Posts
Before I had my rear tyre changed the error in speed was about 9% (on a TA 700) and the odometer was less at about 5%. With the new Trailwing on the error was reduced to about 5% and 1%. This makes sense with reduced circumference on the old tyre.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Before I had my rear tyre changed the error in speed was about 9% (on a TA 700) and the odometer was less at about 5%. With the new Trailwing on the error was reduced to about 5% and 1%. This makes sense with reduced circumference on the old tyre.
Is your speedo calibrated off the rear?
It should not make a difference if the rear tyre is changed only the front.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I thought the speedo on a 700 was taken off the gearbox and that it is electronic. If this is the case and your fussy enough, you could fit a speedo healer.

·
Registered
533 Posts
^ pretty sure it is the grarbox, which is why when the motor was driving a 'smaller' rear tyre, it thought I was going faster than I actually was.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The speedo on the 700 is, I believe, taken off the rear wheel by the ABS sensor - which is also present on the non-ABS version of the bike.

As noted already, I think the 10% or so over reading is pretty normal. My old Varadero did it, my TA700 does it, may partner's Nissan does it... even educated fleas do it....:D

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Is your speedo calibrated off the rear?
It should not make a difference if the rear tyre is changed only the front.
Shouldn't make any difference as the speed sensor is in the gearbox

·
Registered
533 Posts
^ it doesn't matter where the speedo drive is, either on the gearbox or on the rear wheel. A worn tyre means a smaller wheel, and the speedo doesn't know this so will read higher.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts