Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of replacing the speedo plastic gear thingy and have hit a bit of a problem. The old isn't in too bad a condition and slides in and out of the housing no problem but the new one slides in so far (I've given it a good greasing) then feels slightly stiff. I'm reluctant to push it all the way down as I might not be able to get it out again. Is this normal for a new one, any thoughts ?

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of replacing the speedo plastic gear thingy and have hit a bit of a problem. The old isn't in too bad a condition and slides in and out of the housing no problem but the new one slides in so far (I've given it a good greasing) then feels slightly stiff. I'm reluctant to push it all the way down as I might not be able to get it out again. Is this normal for a new one, any thoughts ?

Thanks for any advice

It's probably stiff as it's new. Are you using any of the shims supplied with the gear? I can't remember if mine was tight when I did it though. I'm sure it will be fine! :smile:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Had mine replaced last year after 65k miles and the mech was OK but the shims worn

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

The plastic gear drive did not come with any shims and was not advertised as containing any , I wonder if I'm missing something :( . I took the speedo gear housing off the front wheel and removed the plastic gear drive (that's all that was in the gear housing) from inside and simply tried to pop in the new one which went so far then I felt some resistance , I was reluctant to push it all the way down in case I couldn't get it out again. The old one slides in and out no problem and they both look to be the same .

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

The plastic gear drive did not come with any shims and was not advertised as containing any , I wonder if I'm missing something :( . I took the speedo gear housing off the front wheel and removed the plastic gear drive (that's all that was in the gear housing) from inside and simply tried to pop in the new one which went so far then I felt some resistance , I was reluctant to push it all the way down in case I couldn't get it out again. The old one slides in and out no problem and they both look to be the same .
There are usually two shims sitting behind the plastic gear. This fiche shows them (marked as item 17, Part No: 44809-ML7-003) -

View attachment 42137

They are very, very easy to miss as they are exactly the same colour as the inside of the housing and are also very thin. I would give the housing a good degreasing to make sure that all the old grease and crud have been removed. If you turn the drive spigot with a pair of pliers the plastic cog will be drawn into the housing by the work screw.

Hope that helps.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts