Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. , when ive took it apart the cable internal is spinning at the top and bottom so while the cable was off looked at the speedo drive while pushing the bike at walking pace and that wasnt spinning so i thought ide ask before going any further. Does the speedo drives ever break or come away, can i buy a replacement anywhere if so are they expensive. Ive got a new cable from ebay but its 12 inches to long, is this usual or should i return it. David

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
The nylon toothed wheel in the speedo housing wears out. You can now just replace that part, it slides out using a screwdriver or small fingers.

If your cable is too long it sounds like a cheap pattern cable. I had one of these once and it makes the speedo needle behave very oddly. I think the cable is so long that the top rotates at a different speed to the bottom. The needle seems to think for a few seconds before actually changing it's reading when you pull away. I also seemed to have a loop of cable trying to burst out of the fairing at any opportunity.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks yen, can u still order original speedo cables and the nylon toothed wheel. I will have to use a screwdriver because my small fingers are like cumberland sausages. CHEERS

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
thanks yen, can u still order original speedo cables and the nylon toothed wheel. I will have to use a screwdriver because my small fingers are like cumberland sausages. CHEERS
Speedo cables were about 12 quid last time I bought one. Wemoto or Dave Silver or even your local Honda dealer in an emergency. I believe Wemoto sell the nylon bit seperately, it's 20 quid though. The whole drive is available from Dave Silver for about £40.

I am due a new speedo cable so will be buying one soon. They only last so long.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi

Just to confirm what Yen said. I bought the nylon speedo part from wemoto last week for about £20 delivered, this fixed my none working speedo.

dave

·
2,701 Posts
Before you rush out to get a new gear, strip and clean the speedo drive.

If the plastic gear is ok, check that the 2 tabs on the washer (captive in the hub) are sticking up far enough to drive the gears.

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Before you rush out to get a new gear, strip and clean the speedo drive.

If the plastic gear is ok, check that the 2 tabs on the washer (captive in the hub) are sticking up far enough to drive the gears.
The washer is only £2 from david silvers to.

My plastic drive had worn on the 2 raised bits that go against the washer.

Replaced the drive and washer and its been fine since.

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
The washer is only £2 from david silvers to.
Or £1 from a main Honda dealer!

Have a look here for more advice. Mine's still working at the moment.

·
How much is the fish?
422 Posts
This is a very timely thread for me - my speedo stopped working on Sunday. Took off the cable at the wheel end and can see that the drive isn't going round when the wheel spins. I'll try the above advice for repair :thumbup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks every body for your good advice going to get my mate to help me as he,s more clued up than me . cheers david

·
How much is the fish?
422 Posts
Checked mine today and found that the teeth on the nylon gear are broken/stripped. Looks like the metal gear that drives the speedo cable had jammed & knackered the nylon gear. How do you get the metal gear out of the housing? I think I´d better give it a clean and a check.

·
RD07
27 Posts
Checked mine today and found that the teeth on the nylon gear are broken/stripped. Looks like the metal gear that drives the speedo cable had jammed & knackered the nylon gear.
I had the same problem, see my previous post on how to get the worm gear out. After I cleaned it and had the nylon gear replaced the wormgear still turned very heavy. I think it grinded a bit in the housing. To fix that I drilled a hole in the bottom (positioned like it is normaly on the bike), tapped some thread and put a bolt in it. Now the wormgear turns on the bolt.
Don't know if it makes sense, I could post a pic if needed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts