Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm having a problem with the speedo on my Dominator, hopefully someone may be able to shed some light as to the likely cause.

A few days ago the speedo stopped working. I removed the cable and found it was siezed up solid, not surprisingly, the plastic drive gear in the hub was also wrecked. I replaced both parts, set off and the speedo worked. For about 250 meters, then the needle dropped back to zero. It does however move when I accelerate, not the actual speed but it sometimes gets close if I give it enough beans.

Could it be the actual speedometer that is defective? Surely the chances of the cable and speedo going at the same time are unlikely? One thing has caught my attention though, there is only about 1/4 inch of inner cable sticking out the outer cable at the speedo end, the old one had considerably more. This could mean the cable isn't properly engaging in the speedo but would not explain why it seems to work when accelerating. I would have thought it would either engage or not, rather than occasionally.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
You should be able the get a small screwdriver in the speedo to turn the drive and watch the needle. Should flick up and drop. If not then you've found the prob.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check the metal drive which sits under the rubber seal on the wheel hub and engages with the plastic drive gear - tabs on this also wear or get bent flat, therefore don't engage fully with speedo drive. Costs about £4 from Honda and is easily fitted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts