Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With a little time to reflect, thought I’d post up a wee summary of a short trip from 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] to 1[SUP]st[/SUP] home, Edinburgh to Gairloch + return, via Uig and Braemar.
Decided to inject a little adventure into it, so booked on the Malliag – Armadale ferry at 10.55; figured it’d take circa 5 hrs to get there, so left town at 05.40 – nicely quiet but fekn freezing once the skies cleared into the west, heated grips not far off I think. Still, had the best 20 miles of the trip just out of Ft. William, dodging trials bikes on their way to the SSDT start point.
Mallaig was a bit quiet when I got there

P1030786.JPG Could’ve had another 40 mins abed too… At least my fears of tying down were well covered
P1030791.JPG And the seas weren’t far off smooth
P1030798.JPG With the rain starting, shortened my proposed trek via Dunvegan to heading straight to Portree, then Uig, with the object of going round the top. A flicker of recognition of a van on the way out of Uig, and found myself visiting a certain Lowflying project manage supplying the water of life to the locals.
Tip-toed around the broken-rock landscape of the north end, hoping for a nice view of home from the western edge of the Minch, and suppose did quite well under the circumstances… (hah!)
P1030799.JPG Then the rain really started, a visit to a cousin and new niece (?) in Kyleakin supplied some much needed warmth, and passed a group of a dozen or so bikes coming over the bridge through the gloom – didn’t envy their chances of drying out before the next morning.
Then spent 60 or so of the wettest bike-minutes I’ve done, to Lochcarron – Kishorn – Sheildaig, and stopped for a breather when it finally lessened in Kinlochewe
P1030805a.jpg
Soon as I let my arms down, 2 mini-waterfalls began from my wrists.. As well I took the gloves off first! Had a couple of sunny spells at home on the Saturday, so went out just for the novelty, then off on Sunday to the Cairngorms, given the forecast of more rain sweeping into the west. Quick snap at my favourite parking spot on the way
P1030824a.jpg Bit cold & windy coming over the Lecht, but nowhere near as terrifying as the last time I did it the other way.
All in all, glad I did it, but May is definitely no-longer the month-of-relief it used to be. Bike never missed a beat, bond well and truly reaffirmed.
Cheers, Rob.

Reactions: tugboat

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Nice seeing you again Rob ( even with the facial hair !!)
See and bring some sunshine next time :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
I recognise Slioch on your last pic, where I once used to pass with the stalking ponies when I worked as a ghillie in Whitbread's Fisherfield forest (or Ach an Iasgar) . Then the estate stretched to An Teallach but it's broken up now.

All this was before Africa Twins were invented.....;) So it was a while back...

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slioch indeed, it's in the 2nd last pic too, just hiding...
facial hair
student-dom does have its benefits ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts