Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I popped into a dearlership yesterday to get a split link for my new DID 525 chain (tempoary use to get the TA to the dealer to fit the soft link) and was advised that no such links can be bought?
Replacing chain and sprockets.

I found that strange - has anybody else fitted a split link temporarily to a 525 chain?
Can anyone recommend a decent rivetting tool?

john

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I popped into a dearlership yesterday to get a split link for my new DID 525 chain (tempoary use to get the TA to the dealer to fit the soft link) and was advised that no such links can be bought?
Replacing chain and sprockets.

I found that strange - has anybody else fitted a split link temporarily to a 525 chain?
Can anyone recommend a decent rivetting tool?

john
You can buy split links but unfortunatly it is not legal to use a split link on any road bike over 60BHP (don't know what the TA is) which i didn't know until a couple of months ago thats why most bikes now come with sealed chains.

So dealer is not talking out of his a**

If you only intend to fit a split link to your exhisting chain then you won't need a riveting tool

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
The dealer IS talking out of his behind. Split links are readily available, as I pointed out.

The legality, or otherwise, did not come into the question.
Split links are available agree'd

If you read the post it states " they are illegal for use on ROAD BIKES over 60bhp"

If the dealer knows the bike he is unlikely to sell him one for that bike

I know this as they wouldn't sell me one for a klx650 for that reason, then when i asked for the same link and said it was for my xr they sold it to me

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Split links are available agree'd

If you read the post it states " they are illegal for use on ROAD BIKES over 60bhp"

If the dealer knows the bike he is unlikely to sell him one for that bike

I know this as they wouldn't sell me one for a klx650 for that reason, then when i asked for the same link and said it was for my xr they sold it to me

I don't want to be rude, but the question was whether split links were available or not. And the answer is - yes they are.

It was only yourself that brought up the question of legality, the original poster did not. I answered the question and you provided some additional information.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I don't want to be rude, but the question was whether split links were available or not. And the answer is - yes they are.

It was only yourself that brought up the question of legality, the original poster did not. I answered the question and you provided some additional information.
Which explained the reason why they would not sell one to the guy, who was obviously confused to the reason, reading the first post:thumbleft::thumbleft:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
And since the dealer should know full well that the Transalp does not make more than 60 BHP, whatever anyone says, he was talking out of his behind stating that "they cannot be bought".

So much for knowledgeable dealers, eh? ;)
No bikes make at the BHP at back wheel what manufacturers claim they, can only go by the figures provided on the fact sheets, so if thats what the sheet says thats what they will go by.

2 of the same bikes coming off the same production line after each other will have different BHP's and no dealer will dyno a bike to find out what it's producing to to allow then to sell a £0.50 part

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I thought it wasn't recommended rather than illegal on over 60hp bikes. Is there a reference to this law?

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I thought it wasn't recommended rather than illegal on over 60hp bikes. Is there a reference to this law?
I don't know the law act that covers it, i guess th ecivil servants at the ministry would be the best place to find out. My dealer i've used for years there good as gold, never given me a problem so i have no reason to doubt what they've told me..

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
I run a split link on a 525 Iris chain all the time (and carry a spare just in case) and my last DID 525 was supplied with a split link so yes they are available:thumbup:
I was advised that as long as the bike isn't turning out more than 60BHP its perfectly within the law

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Guys,
This is not worth falling out over....

I intend to purchase a split link, as they are available, to get the bike to another dealer and fit the soft link - I cannot justify the £40-50.00 price of a chain tool.

The comments were very interesting though.....

Regards

John

·
My Blue Beast
756 Posts
Thanks Guys,
This is not worth falling out over....

I intend to purchase a split link, as they are available, to get the bike to another dealer and fit the soft link - I cannot justify the £40-50.00 price of a chain tool.

The comments were very interesting though.....

Regards

John
have you got any biking mates locally you could borrow one from ?............riveter i mean !

look on here :
http://motorcycleproducts.co.uk/cat...rt=2a&osCsid=19e9ffc77a19fe91fff415aeb67c3183

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just for info.... the chain I have to fit is a DID 525VM X-Ring (Gold) and I cannot see a 525 xring specific split link (there are 520's and 530's), but only "O" ring for 525 under DID.

And I so wanted a gold one!!!

John

Gonna take a chance on the "O" ring fit - tried my local mates, no one has a rivetter unfortunately.

·
Registered
585 Posts
This will get you all going! I had a split link on my XJR 1300 and was totally confident in it. If it's fitted correctly and the horseshoe clip is only used once and fitted the correct way round I just can't see aproblem. when I bought the chain I asked for a link and got one without question. The seller does know me very well and even so offered no warning of integrity or legallity. Also it was not an issue at MOT time. Not a problem for me and never had a chain fail.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts