Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the bike is all loaded up on the truck and I'll meet it Malaga in about 3 days. I have given the bike a bit f a shakedown 120miles. All seemed good until I must have been down to the last litre or 2 in the tank and I started to get a splutter. I switched onto the reserve and all seemed well again. I refueled the tank and turned my tap back to the normal position and off reserve. About 20 miles later when I was delivering the bike to the truck ready for the big African Adventure I got the same splutter. Any ideas what I can do? I'm worried that I might have some crud in the fuel tap/ lines. The Bike will be in Portsmouth until 8pm tomorrow and I'm wondering if there is anything I should do between now and then. I could drive from Brighton to Portsmouth tomorrow and have a fiddle. Is there anyone in the portsmouth area that might be able to shed some light or fancy having a fiddle. Once the bike leaves Portsmouth I'll be in Malga and straight on the ferry over to Africa for a mini Moroccan adventure. Thanks to everyone for there friendly comments to date about my little adventure. It wasn't ideal having such a short period of time to buy a bike and get it ready. Is there a fuel crud catcher on the XL600.Should I just blast some air up the fuel line?? Im all ears.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi,
I that there is a filter in the fuel tap, unscrew the bowl and clean it out
I am sure that is so maybe others can verify as well.
BIG D.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi again,
Just checked there is a a fuel filter or strainer and dont forget these are
vacuum taps so there will be a diaphram so no air lines blasting into the tap hope this can help.
BIG D

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
As big D says remove the lower part of the fuel tap to access the strainer (can be done with fuel in the tank), to test the tap suck on the vacuum pipe to see if fuel flows freely, try again on 'reserve' again fuel should flow only with vacuum applied. Now set the tap to 'prime' fuel should flow regardless of whether theres vacuum (there is no 'off' on the fuel tap).

If the diaphragm is damaged the bike can be run with the tap set to 'prime' but this may allow fuel to flood the engine when parked if there are other problems - eg leaking carb float valve.

The early 600 Alp can develop problems with the CDI (the seat rests on them & damages them), this too causes a misfire.

Good luck, Phil

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
Tank breather pipe? can't remember where it runs though.

if it's the cdi you'll get the rev counter fluttering as the missing hapens. If not, then swop the two cdi's over (only one of them powers the rev counter) to see which (if any) pf the cdi's is faulty.

if it'll help I can e-mail the microfiche of the tank & tap assembly.

OH aye, there IS an "off" position on the XLV600 fuel tap.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tank breather pipe? can't remember where it runs though.

if it's the cdi you'll get the rev counter fluttering as the missing hapens. If not, then swop the two cdi's over (only one of them powers the rev counter) to see which (if any) pf the cdi's is faulty.

if it'll help I can e-mail the microfiche of the tank & tap assembly.

OH aye, there IS an "off" position on the XLV600 fuel tap.
It would be good to have a look at that file if its handy. I wonder if its anything as simple as dirty plugs.
I'll start with a new set of plugs. I know the bike has been standing for a while. it could have condensation on the tank? Its only in intermitent fault at the moment. Its a just a bloody shame it happened so late. I could have used one more day to tinker. I'll be tinkering with it on the ferry to Morocco at this rate.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
If it was standing for a while then the inside of the tank may have some rust, as the fuel dropped so low it allowed the suspended debris to cover the exit. On fix is to completely drain the tank remove the tap assembly and flush out with the tank upside down, then clean the filters as you reassemble.
I don't know if it can be done on the road but if you run low enough on fuel that you can drain it into a container, then try .

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The more I'm reading the more it looks like the CDI unit. The fact that when I stopped and turned it over moments later with no problem suggests to me its the infamous dodgy CDI unit which seems to be badly placed on this '87model. The bike has been sent onto Malaga and I meet it on Friday. Does anyone know where I might get a CDI that I can take with me at short notice?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if it's the cdi you'll get the rev counter fluttering as the missing hapens. If not, then swop the two cdi's over
Do you know if both cdi's are the same? i.e could swapping them over be a temporary fix?

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
cdi's are identical, swopping them won't repair the dodgy one.

I managed to temporarily bodge one of mine because I could make it cut back in by pulling on the wire in one direction, I taped them this way & it ran fine 'till I could locate a new one.

(I don't suggest you should do this if you're riding into the wilds, away from effective recovery or help...)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got back from the Moroccan Dakar route adventure. The little Transalp served me proud. I never spluttered again and I can only pressume it was dirty fuel so I got away lightly. I bought this bike especially for this adventure with no time to even pack it properly before I left. I was so amazingly impressed with its performance its just blown me away. I'll be writing a full report with pictures over the next few days. watch this space!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
welcome back,
good to see you safe and sound :thumbleft: ,looking forward to the report and pics :D

Tony K

1 - 15 of 15 Posts